Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Antler restrictions on you land >

Antler restrictions on you land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler restrictions on you land

Old 08-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Antler restrictions on you land

On our land here in Mid Michigan, we have adopted a form of QDM by which we follow. Everyone must take a doe (usually in archery season) before going after bucks. The kids can take there first buck of any size. After that it has to be eight points or more with a spread outside the ears.We landowners inthe area have been doing this for about 5 years now and the results have been great!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Spike

It seems that in some states the Hunters manage the deer population better that the state does. Which is probably the way it needs to be.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have a restriction where if u shoot a buck, u must shoot 2 does along with it..........and the buck has to be at least 4.5 years old or 150"
Old 08-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

most of the land we hunt is 6 or better( i think) but the state dosent have any rules that i know of. if someone who hasnt hunted they'll let a little one go
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

My DMU in Pennsylvania is already 4 on a side. Unless your Junior, Senior, or Active Military. We have been seeing alot more 1.5 YO with 3-4 on a side. I beleive that the restrictions are working.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

We have had some form or another of QDM on our place for about 5 years now and we are seeing little improvement. The soil isnt so go so the deer just dont get that big with a few exceptional bucks being taken (wonder what they would be with a good crop in the area!) In kansas where i hunt however the rancher has been doing it for 12 years and the deer are enormous up there. Lots of 5 year old deer being taken on that place, most way over 150"
Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I live in a part of VA that just enforced the earn a buck program. You got to shoot a doe for every buck you shoot. And your only allowed 3 bucks a year, unlimited does. I have private farm where we started managing a couple of years back. We have a 125 inch minimum, and you must shoot at least 3 to 4 does.We have a lot of does. Its paying off huge!!!! the buck to doe ratio is evening out. it was like 15 to 1, ,now its about 5 to 2. Also, we already had large bucks, but now we have alot of large bucks, and with the less does, we are seeing them more often too, they have to run and find them in the rut, and they got competition. Along, with food plots and everything else we are doing, its not uncommon to shoot a 150 or better. Some say it doesnt work, but Ive seen results in just one season and after a couple seasons its pretty amazing.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 300 acres of family land that will be inherited straight to me, so I tryto manage it as best I can and not shoot small bucks, that way I will hopefully reap the benefits and see some nice bucks in the future, not only for me and friends but for my kids one day. Here in Alabama, it's statewide 3 bucks per year, one of which must have AT LEAST 4 points on ONE side. Doe days vary from county to county, but you can kill as many as you wantat 2 per day for as long as your doe days allow, mine is allowed unlimited does all season, 71 days. Of course I go by the 3 buck rule, but I also try my best to take older mature deer. I would love to only take deer older than 3 1/2, but it's hard to tell my buddies to age the deer before they shoot. Instead we try to only take 8 points outside the ears or better. The club next to us only goes by the law, no restrictions, so I sometimes wonder if I'm doing any good by having antler restrictions.