Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on a fence line ?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting on a fence line ?

If I shot a buck and it jumped the fence, I would make every attempt to contact the new owner before tracking the deer. 2 years ago I shot a buck that did just that, but 2 years ago that land was ours.........The guy doen't live there, he just runs cows and I guess now hunts there...........Everything should play out in the next couple of months and I hope he doesn't kill my excitment for the season by doing something stupid.

TEXAS LAW:
Retrieval of Game: No person may pursue a wounded wildlife resource across a property line without the consent of landowner of the property where the wildlife resource has fled. Under the trespass provisions of the Penal Code, a person on a property without the permission of the landowner is subject to arrest.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes fenceline crossins are prime spots.

Hunting a fenceline/neighbors border is how the game is played.

If he's hunting your property however, that is wrong and illegal. But if he's setup to catch deer traveling to/from your plot through his own property, that's just good deer hunting IMO.

I wouldn't hang a stand on a fenceline facing my neighbors land, but near the fence, facing my property, nothign wrong with that IMO.

Could post a no trespassing sign right there, to give him the point not to hunt your property. But little you can do if a guy has his stand on his property.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check your local and state regs, some states have laws on how close you can hunt to a neighbors property line without permission! Of course, if there is a law like that in your area, you may be hunting too close to the line also! Fence rows make excellent deer funnels, if you can legally hunt them.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

here in arkansas if you cross the line gun in hand or not,unless you have permission,you are considered to be tresspassing, if deer are traveling across his land to your food plot, then all he has to do is set up on one of the travel routes and he will kill them before you see them. also if he wants to put up a stand on his property at the fence there is nothing that you can do about it.....
Old 08-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would atleast move the feeder to the farthest part of the food plot away from the boarder, if that's feasable. Then probably try to start moving the food plot next year, and stop planting near the fence as a buffer zone. I'm saying this off the top of my head as I know not of what the terrain and property look like. Good Luck to you.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 AM

last year i feed corn and i hunt only 20 yards from my neighbors fence but they don't feed anything over there and he found out that i was feeding close to the fence and he hung a stand right out of eye sight but close enough when he shot a gun off it scared the crap out of u. but i shot a nice buck two years ago and it ran onto the land the owner said no but the person that hunts it said go ahead never causei never made a big deal about him hunting so close to myfeeder.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say get with the new neighbor prior to the season starting and come to an agreement. At the very least get permission to pursue wounded game on his land and allow him the same permission. If you talk things out I think they would realize that the feeder and food plot would benefit both of you and set up further back off the plot near the travel lanes. Heck may even make for a good friend.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't wait to find out that you are going to have company on opening day. Be a man and ask him up front.

It's a hell of a lot better to know now than the first morning of season...If he is going to set up close to you, at least you can make adjustments.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

I'd say get with the new neighbor prior to the season starting and come to an agreement. At the very least get permission to pursue wounded game on his land and allow him the same permission. If you talk things out I think they would realize that the feeder and food plot would benefit both of you and set up further back off the plot near the travel lanes. Heck may even make for a good friend.
This is along the lines of what I was going to say. Get to know him and see about cooperation. Maybe invite him to dinner and get to talking about deer season. The two of you can probably reach some mutual agreements at the very least and if you can work together, it might help both of you in your hunting.