Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Hunting on a fence for pronghorn ? >

Hunting on a fence for pronghorn ?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hunting on a fence for pronghorn ?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Hunting on a fence for pronghorn ?

Hey guy & gals has any of you hunted on a fence crossing out of a blind. And if so did the goats shy or move down the fence to avoid the blind thanks for any help !!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried putting blinds/double bulls, at fence crossings two years in a row. The first year I popped the blinds up about a week before season, and they avoided them like the plague. I even took the time to walk the fence lines and lowered the bottom wire any where else that even looked like they might be able to go under. I actually witnessed antelope jumping the fence, to avoid using the crossing near my blind.
So the 2nd year, I sat my blinds up about a month before season started, and not much better results. I only had 2 young bucks cross infront of a blind the whole time I sat in them. I even tried to haze a group of 9 bucks toward a crossing infront of one of my blinds when my buddy was hunting in it. Those nine bucks all forced their way through the fence before reaching the crossing near the blind. The fence is old and not in the best of shape, so it didn't take much for them to get through it.
Unlike water holes that they depend on for survival, fence crossings aren't very reliable hunting spots. BUT, I think if a guy were to build wooden blinds and leave them up year round, it could be a very good tactic for stickin' an arrow through a goat!