Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

home made deer bait

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default home made deer bait

I have tried lots of things but this seems promising. I mix peanut butter, Molasses, vanilla, honey, and a little bit of water to make it thinner. I was wondering if this will attract deer to my hunting area. i have a camera facing the bait and only got one daytime pic of a deer. my flash on my d40 is broken so i cant see the night time pics. the bait is placed on a large flat rock on the ground with salt sprinkled all around it. please give me your opinions.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Spike

Default RE: home made deer bait

isn't baiting deer illegal?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on where ya live if it is illegal or not. I think you are trying to hard there with your bait mix. Try this.

buy a jar of peanut butter and get a wood screw.
take the lid off the jar and screw it into a tree with your wood scre about 3 feet high.
screw the jar back onto the lid and cut the bottom out.

Voila instant peanut butter bait site. It works pretty good.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

The difference between food and bait is whether or not you shoot the deer while he/she is eating it. In SC you can pour corn on the ground to feed your deer, but you can't hunt there. You can put a stand up between a bedding area and the food then shoot them as they go towards it, buthunting the corn pile is a no-no.If your trophy buck has corn in his mouth while you are transporting him, you may have some explaining to do.

Has anyone tried that gel attractant? It supposedly smells like apples or persimmon, but the manufacturer claims it isn't considered bait because it has no nutritional value.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM

salt blocks work good and corn and apples
Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

The difference between food and bait is whether or not you shoot the deer while he/she is eating it. In SC you can pour corn on the ground to feed your deer, but you can't hunt there. You can put a stand up between a bedding area and the food then shoot them as they go towards it, buthunting the corn pile is a no-no.If your trophy buck has corn in his mouth while you are transporting him, you may have some explaining to do.

Has anyone tried that gel attractant? It supposedly smells like apples or persimmon, but the manufacturer claims it isn't considered bait because it has no nutritional value.
Where in SC are you its legal to hunt over corn in the lowcountry. People here do it all the time.
I use it when I get desperate and want to take a doe or 2 for some meat late in the season..
Most of the time I set up in the funnels where the travel and wait..
Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Put out my wifes meatloaf and it was all gone the next morning!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're first starting out go buy a cheap gravity feeder for $20 and put some corn in it.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Merlin1274

Where in SC are you its legal to hunt over corn in the lowcountry. People here do it all the time.
I use it when I get desperate and want to take a doe or 2 for some meat late in the season..
Most of the time I set up in the funnels where the travel and wait..
I hunt in Chester County. I just looked up theSCDNR rules andregulations. "In Game Zones 1 and 2 it is unlawful to pursue deer with dogs, and it is unlawful to bait for deer (50-11-310)." It looks like you can hunt over bait in the low country. I'm hunting in Game Zone 2.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

I think I would add raw oatmeal to that and make like a deer block.......I'd be interested in seeing what happens to it.

Quick Reply: home made deer bait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.