Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

topo maps

Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: topo maps

ORIGINAL: firerescue331

Hey, can you tell me a site or thread on this forum on how to understand topo maps. Thanks
What confuses you about topo maps? The topo lines are elevations. If you walk parallel to a topo line you are walking on the side of the hill. If you walk perpendicular to a topo line you are walking up or down the hill. The closer the lines are together, the steeper the hill is. With a little practice you can easily identify draws and saddle formations.

Try looking here: http://erg.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/usgsmaps/usgsmaps.html#Topographic%20Maps
or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topographic_maps
Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

i wish this google earth has a more recent pic. its about 10 years + old of my friends property.. you dont see the little trails..
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

grbeyemonstr,

Thanks for the detailed post.

Bob
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out JDMCox.com and download USAPhotoMaps. Its a great little free program that lets you download aerial photos and topo maps to your hard drive, it works with your GPS (you can put your waypoints on the map straight from your hand held unit or put waypoints on the map and download them to your GPS), put gridlines on the map, print maps, etc.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Check out JDMCox.com and download USAPhotoMaps. Its a great little free program that lets you download aerial photos and topo maps to your hard drive, it works with your GPS (you can put your waypoints on the map straight from your hand held unit or put waypoints on the map and download them to your GPS), put gridlines on the map, print maps, etc.
Good program with nice clear pictures IF they have the pictures for your area. They dont have any for the area i hunt. all i get are X's in each box
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

use yahoo live maps and you can get zoomed in closer...at least on my area.