Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TOPO Maps for GPS

Old 12-19-2002, 05:31 AM

Default TOPO Maps for GPS

I was thinking about getting a Garmin Vista to use the available TOPO maps. Does anyone have experience with these maps on the GPS? Do the contour lines show up good on hilly locations?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:36 AM

Default RE: TOPO Maps for GPS

I've had good success with a simple GPS and a trusty USGS Quad of the area I'm hiking/hunting in. I've played with mapping GPS in stores before, though, and the resolution isn't too bad. I'd bet a topo map would look ok on one. However, I like to see the big picture, and I don't think that the screen size is good enough to give you a decent-sized topographic with good resolution.

Nate
Old 12-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

I've had some experiences with Garmin and the topo softwear they use. Very bad resolution. What we did was to purchase Topo USA and Map Info. We use a lap top to load the softwear into and hook the GPS to the lap top. Works slick

"Semper Fi"
Old 12-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would look better is you were using a screen that was bigger than the vista. You can only seen some much on a screen thats about 1 3/4" wide. When there is so much detail that is needed, it's hard to use the topo, just because there's so much detail in such a small area. Resolution on the Vista, compared to other GPS units, is great though, especially any of the other Magellans. Good luck
Visit My Updated Hunting Page