Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Mike McCabe's Bowhunting Tragedy >

Mike McCabe's Bowhunting Tragedy

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mike McCabe's Bowhunting Tragedy

Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mike McCabe's Bowhunting Tragedy

I think I'm getting a harness, and checking out my stands thoroughly / re-mounting every year.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow that is serious
Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow that is terrible
Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 PM

It was a bad decision that should have never been made especially by a pro like Mike. I have hunted with him and filmed him on many hunts and he always wore a harness, he made a bad call on account of being in a hurry and having allot of gear to carry in with the camera, tree mount back pack and other stuff. It was a poor decision but nobody knows this more than Mike himself. He paid a terrible price for that decision but his attitude and commitment to spread this message to help prevent someone else speaks volumes about his character. He is a great guy and a phenomenal bowhunter. He has two booners to his credit with a bow and countless Pope&Youngs. He claims that he is not finished wether he can walk again or not and I believe it! If anyone can come back from this it will be Mike, but he will not be able to do it alone so please send the youtube link to anyone you know who hunts so that they might be more careful and also so more people might ss it and be able to help with the mounting medical costs. Thanks for reading!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know a doctor, that while pre-season checking his homemade ladder stands about 10 years ago, had the treated wood ladder step break and he fell about 15 feet. His worst injury was he shattered his femur and almost bled to death. His truck was about 75 feet away and his cell phone was in it, but he could not get to the truck. His family found him about 6 hours after he fell. He still walks with a cane and has other complications. I've never liked a homemade ladder or platform stand.
On the other hand an old friend of mine's 20 year old son was in his climber and something broke. He had the factory supplied tree harness on, and it was on according to instructions. They found him hanging in the tree dead. He had tried to cut the harness off, but had dropped his knife. This was about15 or so years ago.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 PM

TTT
Old 08-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow the is terrible . everyone should wear one after seeing that