Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Mike McCabes Hunting Tragedy >

Mike McCabes Hunting Tragedy

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Mike McCabes Hunting Tragedy

Old 08-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Default Mike McCabes Hunting Tragedy

I am putting this video on here at the request of Mike McCabe and his family so that it might make a difference in your approach to safety. It is a short video on what happened to Him this Spring in Saskatchewan while Filming a Bear hunt for Sportsman of North America. The video is about 5 minutes long and has a little footage from the accident as well as Mike telling the story after he was finally able to come home.
In the video Mike is very positive and makes it clear that he intends to keep bowhunting and was heading to Atlanta to start his physical therapy. Sadly, after reaching Atlanta he has had numerous medical setbacks and two operations since he has been there and continues to struggle. There is info at the end of the video as to how to donate to help with the astronomical medical costs. If you can help, please do so, if you can't please pass this information on to anyone who might be able to help. Achery Clubs, Hunting clubs that might be able to put together a fundraiser would be great places to start. Please keep this thread at the top as often as possible for a worthy cause. Remember "There but for the grace of God go I". Thank you for your time.
PS: If anyone is looking for another way to donate such as hunts to auction off or other gear please PM me and I will put you in touch with the appropriate people. Thanks again and please be careful this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqfkK3h2jqM
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mike McCabes Hunting Tragedy

Always remember saftey first guys
Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

When stand hunting your safety harness needs to be your #1 piece of equipment and priority. To many macho hunters neglect this, or simply in the excitement of hunting neglect to wear a harness.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM

I can't veiw YouTube so could someone please briefly describe what happened?

Thanks,
TXMM
Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 PM

It shows them set up in the trees for a few seconds with the bear walking near by on camera. The screen goes fuzzy and then it shows various shots of the gentleman being air lifted. He is pleading with the audience to wear a safety harness because of the results of his accident. He is paralyzed from the bottom of the sternum down. I don't think you can watch this and still argue that a harness is not necessary.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

What a terrible accident. I am sure that if he could replay that day he would. His message is true and valuable.