Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ohio deer hunting

Old 08-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Spike

Default Ohio deer hunting

Hi,
I live in huntington WV (go herd!) which is right on the border of Ohio. I am tired of shooting scrubby WV bucks and want to go hunting where the big boys are.

I don't have a clue where to start really. What are the best counties to hunt? Is there any good public hunting areas or other near the WV border? I would like to find something somewhat close to me.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 PM

Default RE: Ohio deer hunting

Wayne National Forest
Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Spike

I thought it was no hunting. At least I couldn't find it on the Ohio DNR website as public.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

heck yeah there is great public land..within a 40 minute drive! i live just across the river from ya.. do all my hunting in Gallia county you can hunt the crown city wild life area (11,171 acres) or ask any of the farmers along the river if you can hunt most of the time they will allow it as the deer get in there crops.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Tuscarawas county. That's where I'm from and hunt and for the past few years, we've led the state in deer kills. Also a great county for bucks. If your only looking for does, come here cause we got a ton of them.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are no bucks in Ohio...Ignore my avatar....LOL

Seriously though. There are some nice bucks in WV too. At least where I hunted in eastern WV. But since Ohio is close give it a try. It takes some work to find the big boys. Its won't be just as easy as starting to hunt in Ohio. Do your homework and scout the areas early.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Wayne NATIONAL Forest is great! The best deer in Ohio can be found in South and East (and southeast) Ohio. As stated Wayne is a national forest, so it is not regulated by ODNR, you have to get a seperate hunting permit I beleive.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:45 PM

best thing to do is search the internet for the harvest report and locate the zones by deer killed
Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Woodbury near Coshocton. Rumor has it that Bill Jordon has hunted there, and I know for a fact that a good friend shot a monster buck, called Cabelas and said, "I think I might have something you'll be interested in". I personally haven't hunted there, but wish Ihad. I lived just north of there for seven years and hunted a friends land; killed some big healthy deer too. I now liveminutes away from Dayton, and have almost zero opportunites for prime hunting land[:@]

If you don't want travel that far, others have mentioned Wayne National Forest just norh on St. Rt. 93. Also, there's Cooper Hollow near Jackson, County. Good luck.Remember, show pics if you smoke one.