Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 check this out. a pic of a deer up in a tree!!!!!! >

check this out. a pic of a deer up in a tree!!!!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

check this out. a pic of a deer up in a tree!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default check this out. a pic of a deer up in a tree!!!!!!

how did that happen. to sum it up they think that some guy shot it with a bow and then drug it up there. well heres the pick and the story. kinda long but good

December 28, 2002 Long Eddy, New York - Deer and gun season both opened in the heavily wooded southwestern corner of Delaware County, New York, across the river from Wayne County, Pennsylvania, on November 18. The night before it had snowed covering everything white. Hunter Gerald Inman, a stockbroker from West Nyack, Rockland County, New York, was at first disoriented by the sight of a deer hanging in the middle of all the white trees in front of him. Upon closer inspection, Mr. Inman estimated the deer was hanging between two branches about twelve feet or more off the ground. There were no signs of blood or struggle.

Later, he told his hunting club buddies. They all laughed and told him he was crazy. But Jim Hudgins from Gerald' s hunting club explored the area himself and also found the deer in the tree on Dec. 7, 2002. He reported the peculiar find to the Bureau of Wildlife in the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the case went to Scott Van Arsdale for investigation. Scott is a Wildlife Technician 2 in the Bureau of Wildlife and says no one in the department can recall anyone before ever finding a deer so high and so tightly lodged in the crotch of a tree. Scott went with Gerald Inman, Jim Hudgins and another man back to the site in mid-December. The snow was so deep, the men could not drive to the hunting cabin. So the group hiked in about 1.5 miles and carried a tall aluminum ladder to get the deer down. I asked Scott Van Arsdale what happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interview:

Scott Van Arsdale, Wildlife Technician 2, Bureau of Wildlife, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), Stamford, New York: " The deer was wedged belly down in the crotch of the tree with its front feet and head hanging down on one side of the tree and its hind legs hanging down on the other end. It wasn' t a very wide tree, so this deer drooped down on both sides of the crotch.

WHERE THAT NOTCH WAS OR BRANCHES WAS A FULL 12 FEET OFF THE GROUND?

Yes, it was. Or more.

OBVIOUSLY THE DEER DIDN' T JUMP AND SPRING UP THERE?

Right. It was just a little too far. Deer can probably jump about a maximum of ten feet. But it was actually down hill behind the deer so it would have been more than a 12-foot jump for it. It had a wounded foot, too, which the pathologist did not mention, but it had a swollen front foot. So, I doubt it was moving around too good to begin with. I' m sure it could get through the woods fine, but to have a little deer jump that far was just a little bit beyond the realm of what you consider possible, I think.

WHAT HAPPENED FOR YOU TO GET THE DEER OUT OF THE BRANCHES AND OFF TO YOUR PATHOLOGIST?

We tried everything we could to get the deer out of the tree with the tree still standing, climbing up on the ladder and pushing on the deer. We tied a rope to it and had some of the guys pull and others pushed on the deer. We put the ladder under the deer' s front legs, between the tree and front legs, and two of us picked up on the ladder. And we are talking, some of the guys were pretty big! One is an ex-football player, actually, and we just couldn' t get that deer loose. So, one of the fellows hiked back to their hunting camp to get an ax. We didn' t have a chain saw. We decided to chop the tree down. The four of us took turns with the ax and dropped the tree so we could get to the deer. Even then, we had difficulty removing it. We had to push and pull on the deer until we got it about five extra feet up from the crotch before the two tree trunks were wide enough to slip the thing out.

THIS WAS ALMOST A MONTH AFTER THE OPENING OF DEER SEASON WHEN MR. INMAN FIRST FOUND IT UP THERE IN THE BRANCHES?

Right. It was just short of a month. It' s been a very cold fall around here, so the deer was well preserved.

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?

We put it on a sled and took it back out to the road and I delivered it as soon as I possibly could to pathology, Dr. Ward Stone, in Albany.

Pathologist Reports Deer Killed by Bow and Arrow

CAN YOU SUMMARIZE WHAT HE FOUND AND SAID?

He found that the animal was killed by an arrow, which did go through the heart and lungs. So, it was a very good shot, whoever shot the animal made a really good shot, so that deer was dead very quickly.

WAS THE ARROW STILL THERE WHEN YOU DRAGGED THE DEER OUT OF THE TREE?

No, it wasn' t. In fact, I didn' t even notice the wound. But I wasn' t looking that closely because the case is so unusual, I wanted the experts up in pathology to look at it before I looked at it too hard. Sometimes in the field, if I think it' s coyotes or something has killed an animal, I will do a little field investigation myself. But I figured this was one for the experts, so I didn' t even check over the body that closely when I had it in my possession.

IF YOUR STATE WILDLIFE PATHOLOGIST, WARD STONE, EXAMINED THIS MALE DEER AND CONCLUDED THAT IT WAS SHOT BY AN ARROW THROUGH THE HEART AND LUNGS, BUT THERE IS NO ARROW IN THE BODY, HOW IS HE CONFIDENT THAT THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED?

Oh, it' s real easy because the arrow leaves a hole and the blades, cutting blades on the hunting head, slice right through. He even said it was, ' a three-blade broad head arrow.' So, there is nothing else that is going to be confused with an arrow wound.

BUT THAT LEADS TO THE QUESTION: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ARROW THAT WAS THERE AND HOW DID THIS DEER END UP 12 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND IN A TREE WITH NO ARROW IN ITS BODY?

It' s very common for the arrow to pass straight through the body. In fact, I think that happens more often than not in archery kills. The arrow just goes right on through and out the other side. So, it' s not Â* even with the snow on the ground, if the arrow was there on the ground with the snow, we would not have seen it. So, there isn' t any mystery about how the deer died. It died from an arrow wound.

How it got up in the tree is another story and I think Ward Stone and myself believe that somebody put it, some human, put it up there. We' re reasonably sure of that.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD WHEN IT WENT INTO THE TREE?

Oh, yeah, it died almost immediately after the arrow hit it. Very soon after.

WHAT WOULD BE THE MOTIVE FOR ANYONE TO DO THAT?

That' s a good question. I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is a hoax, to play a trick. But the reason I didn' t think it was a hoax to begin with because it was way out in the middle of nowhere. You' d think that if someone was going to play a trick, they would have done this near a road or hunting cabin or some place where they knew it was going to be seen. But this wasn' t a place where I would think that you would know someone was going to come by.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: check this out. a pic of a deer up in a tree!!!!!!

That deer should do more than just hang around and do nothing [&:]

Seriously though, that is very strange. Maybe just someones wierd idea of a prank
Old 03-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya. they are wondering about that. if it is a parnk why would it be out in the middle of no were and not by a road or cabin were people could see it. the guy that found the deer just happened to see it.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:45 PM

kinda strange[&:]
Old 03-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-10-2003, 08:12 AM

Interesting story. Is it possible for deer to jump that high in reflex to being struck by the arrow? Also, are there any cougars in that area?