Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Undecided....please help!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 AM

Default Undecided....please help!

Well I know there are alot of very experienced hunters on this board and so I will ask you for your help and your honest opinion....

-Leupold VX III 4.5-14x40 B&C Reticle.....thinking also of a 50mm instead of 40mm objective?

-Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 #4 Reticle

They will be going on a T/C Pro Hunter in 300 WinMag. I am really stuck on this and want to make a purchase soon. I own quite a few Leupolds and I love them. Lately I have read alot...especially on this site, about the Conquest. Sounds like it may be the betterway to go?? Its a few onces heavier than the vxIII but may be better for low light?? Is it actually better quality than the Leupold??

I can get the vxIII for around 200 dollars cheaper than the Zeiss. Saving money would be nice.....but if I would be happier with the Zeiss, I will drop the extra cash in a second.

What do ya guys think? Never notice a difference?? Save the money?? Drop the extra 200....I wont regret it?? Thanks againg for all the help guys!!

I wish I would have found this site years ago!!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Undecided....please help!

If it ain't broke don't fix it... You said you like these scopes & without any problems, so...
-Leupold VX III 4.5-14x40 B&C Reticle.....thinking also of a 50mm instead of 40mm obj
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the Zeiss to be sure. It has better glass, an etched reticle, a little better EP #'s, and constant eye relief (about 4"). I also think the #4 reticle is great. I have never once regretted spending more on quality. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would go with thge leupold and gewt the 50 mm
Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

For those of you that have had both sizes...do you belive the 50mm is worth it over the 40mmdue to a bit more light gathering ability?...Does the slightly higher mounting posistion of the 50mm feel different?? I have only had 38-42mm scopes in the past, but once again, I want to see if there has been something I have been missing?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM

The difference between a 40 mm and a 50 mm scope at dawn or dusk is about 1X of scope range..

In other words if you could use a 40mm scope at 6X at dusk, then you could use a 50mm scope at 7X.

You also have to understand that in any decent light, there is no difference. This will only make a difference in very low light situations, such as the first or last 15 - 20 minutes of the shooting day.

Hope this explains it for you.

MET

Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 PM

Thank You MichaelT.! Thats the explanation I was looking for. I think I may stick to the 40mm Leopold or the 44 Zeiss.

I also dont want to comprimise accuracy due to improper alignment or bad cheek weld. I would think having it mounted higher might do that....at least to me.

I just got done checking out both scopes at the dealer. I am gonn think about it for a few days then go back and grab one. I am leaning towards the Leupold because I am familiar with them.I still want to look through the Zeiss at dusk to compare.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM

No worries.... and, typically 44 ( sometimes 42 ) is the largest obj. diameter you can use without going to High rings... But It seems as though you may already know that....

God Bless

MET

Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ide consider a trijicon. i ahve one and love it
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM

I have a remington model 700 in 300 win mag. I have a leupold VX2 3x9x50. The 50mm objective will draw a whole lot more light in the low light suitations. But it my opinion the 50mm gives you a wider viewing area that seems to take away from the lond distance shots. I would def go Leupold 50mm for sure!!

Quick Reply: Undecided....please help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.