Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

youth hunt

Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Default youth hunt

I got my kids license for the youth hunt here in Michigan today and this weekend I will be getting us a new 20 guage shotgun. I am thinking of popping a tent on a nearby camp ground for the two day hunt since it normally is pretty warm. One thing is for sure, you can expect me to be safe but I will be flying down that dirt roadlike a bat out of Hati if he should get one. Anyone else have some experience on these warm weather early season youth hunts?This will be our first hunt together and he still needs to take the hunter safety class that I still plan on getting him into ASAP. Man, I am soo excited about getting out there with him and the possibility of him harvesting one but I am nervous at the same time although I do not want to be. So do any of you guys have some suggestions on making it a safe and memorable trip?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: youth hunt

Above all be careful and take your time.....then be sure to pack some snacks and water to keep him occupied so he doesn't get too bored.Be sure to have a camera along and dress warmly even though you may think it might be warm that day if it gets cold in the early mornings you'll want him to be warm and you can always shed some layers of clothes as it warms up.We used to have the Youth Deer Season the last weekend of October now they moved it to the first part of November and the 1st week of January now so we have 2 weekends of the Youth Deer Hunt.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:37 AM

Default RE: youth hunt

Hey Dozen,

Where abouts are you from? I just had both of my boys through the hunters safety course in Pinkney. What a great class. Monday through Thursday from 6:00 to 9:30. Covered EVERYTHING! They even brought in a lamb and showed everyone how to field dress it. Best part was they only took a donation for the class. You said that you would be flying down the dirt roadif he gets one. We were told in the class that you must be sitting with your child while hunting. Best piece of advice, don't forget the orange!!!!

Have a great time, my son and I will be doing the youth hunt this year and I am as giddy as a schoolgirl.