Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do Yall Think Of 338 ?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do Yall Think Of 338 ?

340 Weatherby is nice. 338 Win is too slow. I guess it's OK for a brush gun.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

So many opinions and you're all right! Its a matter of preference. To each their own as long as its legal. Two years ago, my largest rifle as a .30-06. I liked the 06 but wanted something larger for out west. Something great for elk sized game and something with reach for mule deer. I looked at the .338 win mag because the 180gr federal ammo was as fast and flat as the .300 WSM and .300 WM. But finding the smaller gr ammo was difficult and I thought is was a bit much for deer, which is what I hunt mostly. I went with the .300 WSM. Ammo availablilty is good and its great for everything in NM, although I'd prefer the .338 for brown bear (which I may hunt someday).

The .30-06 sat in my safe for 2 years so I sold it.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

I use a 338-06 and I love it. its better than a 338 federal and kicks a hell of a lot less than a win mag. great cartridge. 35 whelen also. moose bear whitetails its got it all.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get all this "exit wound" stuff? If I want to chase blood trails, I'll consider bowhunting.

I've never used anything larger than a .30-06 on deer (whitetails AND muleys), and in some cases even the .30-06 has seemed like overkill. It and the .243 are my "go to" deer rifles. I've never had to trail a wounded animal more than about 25 yards, nor have any required a follow-up shot.

Just my opinion - a .338 is overkill on deer. If it's taking something that large for you to knock one down with anything less, something's not quite right.....
Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: homers brother

I don't get all this "exit wound" stuff? If I want to chase blood trails, I'll consider bowhunting.

Just my opinion - a .338 is overkill on deer. If it's taking something that large for you to knock one down with anything less, something's not quite right.....
10-4!....................IMO, .338 is a minimum when taking horses into High Country......
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

the winchester .338 magnum is a fine caliber, more than enough knock down and with enough velocity to make if a fine long range shooter. for elk and moose it would be my first or maybe second choice, however i have more friendler shoulder calibers for deer hunting. but if you can shoot the cannon well, it will most certainly get the job done.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: homers brother

I've never used anything larger than a .30-06 on deer (whitetails AND muleys), and in some cases even the .30-06 has seemed like overkill. It and the .243 are my "go to" deer rifles. I've never had to trail a wounded animal more than about 25 yards, nor have any required a follow-up shot.

The exit wound stuff is becuase I love to eat deer meat and I want to waste as little as possible.

No you can knock deer down with lesser calibers.I just like the way it performs on deer. Nothing more nothing less. I think any gun that has the power to kill a deer and you can shoot accuratly is a good rifle for deer hunting. I just like the 338 Win Mag. Do I need all that power for a deer, no, but I like it. .
Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

So then, what's to "like" about "all that power"?

If you don't want to waste meat, why are you trying to put a hole in the opposite side of the animal? Seems it'd be much more efficient to find a caliber that didn't overpenetrate?

My .300 Magnum uses just over twice the weight of powder I throw into a .243 or .308 case. All three will kill a deer. For that extra powder burned, what did I get? More noise? A sore shoulder? A deader deer? But hey, I probablylooked cool doing it.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the .338 would be just fine.

I personally like my .300WM and many people have told me that it's "overkill" (there's at least one in every crowd), but I chose it because of great balance between raw knockdown power and ballistic tragectory with the ammo I like. I've taken everything from antelope to elk with that rifle and I've never noticed it ruining any more meat than any other big game rifle.

I could have done the same with any old 30-06, but I just like the .300 better.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:11 AM

Obviously, you were not at the meeting , nor did you get the memo sent out on HNI about the .243 being able to take anything you may want to take..... Please don't let it happen again.....

Now, seriously, The .338 is one heck of a bad boy, and if you are talking about game on another continent.... I'm still with ya. But if you are just talking about stuff here in North America, well.... I believe there are others just as well suited for the job that will not require reconstructive surgery of your shoulder. The 300 mag or 300 wsm comes to mind. The 325 wsm or even the 7mm mag and 7mm wsm or the 7mm rsum. I mean come on brother.... You cannot possibly tell me that you like the idea of shooting a .338 more than once a day..... Really, brother, are ya shell shocked or somethimg ??

Brother if it is what you want , and you know why you want it... they what we think means a hill of beans.....

But before you buy one, please do me one favor. Please go check out a new line of Ruger Rifles, and Hornady ammo. They were developed together... The line up is the 300 and 338 RCM or Ruger Compact Magnum.... Man those are some bad boys.... Buy one of those and give us a report. Thanks !!

Good luck and let us know what you get and how you like it.

MET