Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

hey yall

Old 01-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Default hey yall

Just wanted to say hey new to the forum and also new to trying to turn a pup into a bird dog....Just brought home my 7 week old yellow lab last night have had labs all my life just never hunted over any of them so this will be a learning experince for both myself and Hunter, I did order the book GameDog hasnt came in yet and i dont know if this is a good book or not. Any Tips or tricks of the trade would be great

thanks

Old 01-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hey yall

its a great book. i would also order the movie to go along with it. i have all the author's books and and movies.. i learned most of what i know about retrievers from him. great tips in all. good luck on your new pup. if you have any questions please feel free to ask. lots of people here would be more than happy to help.. later yellow.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:16 PM

Take a hallway in the house, shut all the doors, tie a knot in a sock, start at the start of the hallway, toss as you let the dog go, say its name, this will overlay later, it will be its que to go. Then as it picks it up, make it seem like its the biggest thing in the world that dog can do, woo hoo, whatever. Then tell it here, when it comes into you, praise it for what it done, let it hold the sock, just pet and love, after couple minutes, you can roll its lower lips on top of its lower teeth, and tell it to drop, do it a couple times and thats it, do not do it again if it does not bing it to ya, put the sock up, try again tommorow. Trust me,Thanks JONESY, you can pm me, or email at [email protected]
Old 01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a mediocre Hunting Companion, "Water Dog" and "Game Dog" (R.A.Wolters) are some OK books.
For a GREAT Hunting Dog, go with the "10 Minute Retriever" (J. and A. Dahl)
For aSUPERB Hunting Dog and one that would also so very well in Hunt Tests, go with the "SmartWork" series of books (E. Graham).

Old 01-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

Take a hallway in the house, shut all the doors, tie a knot in a sock, start at the start of the hallway, toss as you let the dog go, say its name, this will overlay later, it will be its que to go. Then as it picks it up, make it seem like its the biggest thing in the world that dog can do, woo hoo, whatever. Then tell it here, when it comes into you, praise it for what it done, let it hold the sock, just pet and love, after couple minutes, you can roll its lower lips on top of its lower teeth, and tell it to drop, do it a couple times and thats it, do not do it again if it does not bing it to ya, put the sock up, try again tommorow. Trust me,Thanks JONESY, you can pm me, or email at [email protected]
I certainly agree with the "hallway" retrieves, but an even better way to get the puppy to 'drop' the retrieved item is to just lift up on the flap of skin right in front of the back leg while giving your 'drop' command. As soon as you lift up on the flap, they will spit the object right out.
And remember, NEVER more than 3 to 5 retreives at a time. Then wait at least an hour before you do just a few again. Always leave them wanting more.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

since we are talking about tapes other than walters tapes. the best i have ever found for mike lardy's. he will teach you everything you would ever want to know about dog training and then some. anyone who has watched his videos, im sure will say the same.most prosand field trilers alike go by his videos to the T and have great results.here is a website for them if you are interested.www.totalretriever.com. this guy is known world round for his outstanding training methods and amazing dogs.. worth a luck see if you get time.
Jeff Smith
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM

Agree totally on the flap, did not want to tell to much to fast. Remember the age. That is also why I said one or two, could be a long way for pup, and then if it wants to give out, creates boogers, cause owner doesn't realize, dogs tired.Not putting down doc, just explaining what and why, Thanks how soon on your trial for Casey?? expect to see some pics!! Slammem doc!! later Jonesy
Old 01-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

Thanks how soon on your trial for Casey?? expect to see some pics!! Slammem doc!! later Jonesy
He will run in a Master Test in Spokane the end of April (hopefully a tune up for the biggun), the NAHRA Master Nationals in the middle of May in Hotchkiss, Colorado.
Out waterfowl season just ended yesterday, so now it's back to training. Just weekends until the clock changes. Then pretty much every day after supper.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the tips yall gamedog came in today and i read most of it i did pick up a number of things but i'm gonna get a couple other books and take pieces of each to put together for a tranning program. for the next couple weeks i figure let her be a puppy and play fetch with her a few throws a day like jonsey suggested thanks !!!

Cody