Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

passed a deer......?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: passed a deer......?

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Let me know when putting your deer "on the books" gains any respect from me, it's probably not going to happen. If its legal to shoot, shoot it if you want, if you want to pass on it go ahead and pass on it. However don't think you are some how better than everyone else because you let deer walk by. That actually defeats the purpose of the DNR handing out tags, believe it or not they actually want you to kill those deer, not watch them walk around.

And in some places letting that deer walk just means someone else will shoot it anyway, depends on how much pressure is in your area and how big the deer get in the first place.

Paul
Right On Paul!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

ORIGINAL: Bukmastr

ANY deer is a "REAL TROPHY"!!!!
Let me know when they put your little 2 pointer in the trophy record books

You can shoot it... Or you can pass it... Don't really matter to me. But passing a buck is not a missed opportunity. Its a stepping stone.

Let me know when putting your deer "on the books" gains any respect from me, it's probably not going to happen. If its legal to shoot, shoot it if you want, if you want to pass on it go ahead and pass on it. However don't think you are some how better than everyone else because you let deer walk by. That actually defeats the purpose of the DNR handing out tags, believe it or not they actually want you to kill those deer, not watch them walk around.

And in some places letting that deer walk just means someone else will shoot it anyway, depends on how much pressure is in your area and how big the deer get in the first place.

Paul
Paul

Thanks for putting into words what I was thinking!

Don't get me wrong I like to take big bucks but I am just as satisfied with a smaller buck or taking a doe. It's not the size of the animal or a contest to see who can take the most bone, it's the hunt and sharing that with your loved ones or friends.

If I am lucky enough to kill a monster buck it is not because I am a better hunter than anyone else it's because I was at the right place at the right time and I was very lucky.

Also I have never nor will I ever take a guided, high fenced or ranch style hunt. To me that is NOT hunting it is going out a picking what you want to kill and doing it. Those type of place are prostituting the deer or what ever animal they are SELLING you. But if you want to do that more power to you I am not going to try and run you down just because you do it.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

The way I see it, when I go thru a lot of hard work and scouting to get the chance to take a mature deer Its a great feeling of accomplishment. I get to learn the land inside out, I get to see all the deer and learn there habits. Something that don't happen for those who shoot every deer they see.
I get a kick out of the fact that I don't tell anyone else what to shoot, but some people want to tell me that I am somehow wrong for choosing not to shoot baby fawns and yearling bucks that still don't know better than to walk past your stand. I would rather shoot mature bucks and control the herd thru doe harvest...
As far as the DNR goes, where I am at they have devistated the herd and we all need to slow down on the shooting and let the herd rebuild.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

I also do alot of hard work scouting and learning the habits of the deer I hunt. But I don't just hunt for large deer either. Your logic that all you have to do to kill a small deer it just pick a spot out in the woods and you will take one is not true at least where deer population is lower. Where I hunt as far deer per acre of woods it is high but deer per sq mile it is low. because of all the row crops. Just not alot of woods andit can only support so many deer.

So don't say I don't put in hard work for the deer I harvest just because they don't meet your standards!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 PM

Devastated deer herds in WI?

Deer Hunting in Wisconsin Wisconsin is recognized as one of the premier deer hunting states in the nation as Wisconsin is home to a thriving deer herd. Wildlife habitat changes during the past century due to farming, logging, and urban expansion have led to the evolution of new method for managing our deer populations in an attempt to control their numbers under a wide array of habitats and social conditions.
Wildlife biologists in Wisconsin have developed population models for deer. The model depends on information gathered primarily from the hunters themselves. Such information includes the actual number of deer harvested annually, and the sex and age of each animal. When applied to a specific geographical "unit," it is possible for biologists to accurately estimate the number of deer living in that unit. They can then estimate the numbers that may be harvested to keep populations at healthy levels that are socially acceptable to both hunters and nonhunters alike. For more information, please feel free to read "Wisconsin's Deer Management Program: [PDF 1.72MB], The Issues Involved in the Decision-Making."

If anything is decimating your deer it is Chronic Wasting Disease, not over hunting. And my opinion is this is caused by over population without keeping the deer herd in check. So if anything you are not killing enough deer as opposed to killing too many.

And nobody is telling you to go kill fawns either. I also don't believe 1 to 2 year old deer are any smarter than mature deer are. I don't know where people get that deer are that intelligent or have a great capacity for learning. If deer truly learned to avoid hunters with age and by coming in contact with them then they would learn the same thing from other dangers, like highways and roads. You would think by now deer wouldn't get near a road, yet they get hit constantly. Doesn't seem very smart to me.

I believe as deer get older they change there patterns is all and become more nocturnal which is why you don't see them as often, except during rut when everything goes completely out the window.

Paul

Old 08-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

The CWD killings in my area have devastated the herd.. You don't hunt here on the public land I hunt with absolutely no limits on how many deer people can shoot... so you have no business telling me I don't know how many deer are on the public land I hunt...

So don't say I don't put in hard work for the deer I harvest just because they don't meet your standards!
My standards? Shoot whatever you want... Just like me. No body can force me to shoot baby deer. Not even YOU.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Like I said, Chronic Wasting Disease is the root of your problem, not over hunting. The DNR is letting them shoot that many deer because it needs to be done. Don't blame the DNR for low deer herds when they are trying to stop the spread of CWD. If they don't do something about it you won't have any deer left because they will get sick and die off.

And again, no one is telling you to shoot baby deer.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Bartender

Paul the disease is in the soil and if you really think they will get sick and die off you are truely clueless on this.
This disease has been in Colorado for well over 30+ plus years. Here in Wi which you are not from deer
are being over hunted now please go take some time and do some research please.
One last thing the DNR is mostly in the hands of the politicions in our state and not sure if back in the hands of DNR will help either. *Amended*
I do find it humerous a guy in Mi telling us here Wi what is wrong.

Out,
T
Old 08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

My standards? Shoot whatever you want... Just like me. No body can force me to shoot baby deer. Not even YOU.
Hey bud I don't see anyone here including me that has told you to shoot "baby deer". All I ever said that it doesn't take a 150 class deer to constitute a trophy. You said yourself you shoot doe so you don't think they are trophies????? If not you should to at least give them the respect they deserve. Because with out them you would not have what are to you a trophy. How do you decide which doe to shoot? You can't tell if she carries the the almighty big antler gene can you??? If not then you might be not letting her carry on that gene. And the smaller one you let pass might of had an inferior antler gene.

I also beleive I said before you shoot what YOU want to shoot not what me or anyone else says you should shoot.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is NEVER a bad move to pass on a deer.

Quick Reply: passed a deer......?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.