HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   passed a deer......? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/255645-passed-deer.html)

pahunter60 08-01-2008 09:40 PM

passed a deer......?

im 16, last year i passed a half rack 2ptand a small bodiedbuckin rifle season, and in PAantler restrictions start when im 16 in my area its 4 pts on one side.....was that a smart move?

steve25 08-01-2008 09:51 PM

RE: passed a deer......?

If you didn't want to take it then it was a good move! On the other hand if you done it because someone else told you that is what you should do then it was the wrong choice. I have never or will I ever tell someone how they should hunt even if I disagree as long as it is within the law. You bought the tag use it how everyou wish. Hunt for yourself not for someone else.

pahunter60 08-01-2008 09:54 PM

yea thats true, it just seems hard to count the points when theyre running, which is all they do in rifle season..ha

trevorpt 08-01-2008 10:06 PM

That was definetly a smart move... you should always pass on smaller deer to let them grow to their full potential so you can harvest a real trophy deer.

Hurricanespg 08-01-2008 10:09 PM

Do whatever you want (within the law). You are the one doing the hunting.

steve25 08-01-2008 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

[align=left]That was definetly a smart move... you should always pass on smaller deer to let them grow to their full potential so you can harvest a real trophy deer.[/align]
ANY deer is a "REAL TROPHY"!!!! What you consider a "TROPHY" deer may not be what me or anyone else considers a trophy. Hunt how YOU want to hunt don't try to influence anyone else just because that is how you hunt.

drdi 08-02-2008 06:35 AM

I think it's a good thing at age 16 that you can pass on a shot. It shows self-restraint and that is a good thing in hunting. Don't worry about lost opportunity or should of / could of scenarios. Go out this year and just enjoy being out there.

You will find over your lifetime of hunting that what and how you hunt will change. A deer that you would shoot at age 16 will probably be different than a deer you would or wouldn't shoot at age 50. As long as it is legal, hunt the deer that you want to hunt. Don't worry about what others say and just enjoy yourself. (PS If your goal is to be able to see big bucks in the woods, then I say you did the right thing last year. But that choice is TOTALLY up to you. My first buck was a small basket rack that I would never shoot today, but I am still proud of taking that deer. It was an awesome hunt.)

timbercruiser 08-02-2008 07:31 AM

If it is legal and you want to shoot it, then go ahead. In our area of hunting I have been involved with numerous tracts of land that we set up to "manage". Good idea in principal, but in reality IMHO it was a bunch of hooey. You usually wind up either not seeing the buck again, somebody else on the contiguous property shoots it anyway, he goes nocturnal when he does mature a little, or most likely the land you have been leasing is sold or leased to somebody else. It is your choice as long as it is a legal deer.

whitetaildreamer 08-02-2008 07:34 AM

If it is legal shoot it. At your age I would want to not only get the experience hunting but also processing the deer. Lots of times to look for the big boys in the future.

sandilands 08-02-2008 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

If it is legal shoot it. At your age I would want to not only get the experience hunting but also processing the deer. Lots of times to look for the big boys in the future.
X2
You've got plenty of time to look for them big boys. Heck shoot a doe if its legal. You need to break the ice sometime:D