Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where my big bucks?

Old 03-07-2003, 07:00 AM

Default where my big bucks?

How come you see big bucks durning the summer on our land but durning the season you see them at night of the season and you cant shoot them. I think there hiding but is it possible for me to walk right by them and not see him.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:16 AM

Default RE: where my big bucks?

they have gone nocturnal on you.
you may have to change you hunting location.I mean get closer to where they come out to the edge just before last light.they like to stay just inside heavy cover till dark.if you can get to where you can see into this edge cover you may have a chance.scout the area and see where there bedding and feeding,set up inbetween those two areas.
Hunt the " RUT" then they will come out in the middle of the day also.when the rut is on hunt the does,the big boys will be there.
just some ideas of mine,my 2 cents,there are 98 more.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good advice, get close to his bedroom, as close as you can. I assume when you say your seeing them at night this is late pre - rut, rut or post rut. Is this correct? B/C your describing nocturnal deer movement, which by the way happens 365 days of the year. It just gets magnified by hunting or human pressure and the rut itself. While during the rut you will see big bucks moving during daylight hours, they won' t move if the does aren' t. I would guess that all deer in the area have gone nocturnal or venture out very close to last light. The only way to improve this situation, is improve your location...like tree climber said you need to scout bed and food, then pick a spot in the middle that is undercover or at least provides cover. I would say a corridor or funnel that leads from bed to breakfeast(food) would be your best option. Also if Rut is near or on, I wouldn' t be affraid to get in tight to his bedroom and try some rattling and/or scent(doe in heat). In late pre and rut I get as close as I can to his nedroom and clank the horns hoping to egg him out, it has worked more times than not here. When deer go nocturnal, wind direction is of the utmost importance, keep it your favour, those deer are educated to the pressure don' t make it worse with a marginal wind.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:55 AM

Thats what makes it so much fun! if every one went out and shot a trophy buck every year then there would not be much fun in that, but figuring out how to out smart the ole fella is the name of the game. When my dad got me started into hunting ten years ago we hunted a piece of family property about 50 acres. all we saw were does and those where few and far between, but he always told me to be patient. if the does are there, then there is at least one buck. since then we have taken a one nice 8pointer and saw many nice bucks.

IF THE BUCKS ARE THERE: 1. you gotta be inthe woods (cant shootem from the bed)
2. YOU GOTTA BE PATIENT!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always believe in the old expression that " Big old bucks don' t get that way by being stupid" . The word that I live by is " threat" and once a big buck feels he' s threatened, then all bets are off. Deer may become nocturnal but to me, it' s never 100%. The must move during daylight hours but they do it in ways that offer what they feel they need. That is feed, shelter and security. For that reason, I hunt the darkes, thickest places I can find in the deer woods and usually that means swamps. Places where deer can detect any threat, places where other hunters do not want to go because of the terrain and places that offer shelter from the weather. It would be in your interest to hunt these places but remember you can' t shot them if you can' t see them and the name of the game is seeing them before they see you. And Yes, they can see you and let you walk close by without you even knowing they were there, all within shooting distance. It gets back to the threat, if they feel that running with tail held high is there best chance, that' s what they will do. On the other hand, staying put and letting you pass by while they remain undetected has saved many a deer......Good Luck.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:51 PM

Good points made Tree climber. Also, deer change their habits from summer to fall. Food and hormones are the primary reasons. A deers food source changes drastically in the fall. In the fall, summer crops are gone, forage is becoming victim to frosts, acorns are becoming ready, and wheat pastures are sprouting.

Days are becoming shorter in the fall triggering hormonal changes in deer, bucks especially. Testosterone levels increase causing antlers to harden and bucks become increasingly interested in does.

Where you saw bucks in the summer months does not mean you will find them in the same places come fall. Do more scouting, read the signs, and change to where the deer are now.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:11 AM
nub

is it possible for me to walk right by them and not see him
You' d be surprised how close you can walk to a deer and not see them.