Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Outfitters

Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Outfitters

Spudrow;
I have used an outfitter a few times (for deer and hog) and I will try to explain why.
I have deer hunted since 1968 in N.J & N.Y. mostly on state land.
I have read just about every book and article there was on deer hunting.
I have spent days and days scouting and planning each deer season and I have been lucky enough to harvest 22 whitetails, the biggest was a 7 pointer.
Now at 56 it is difficult for me to drag a 150 lbs deer 1.5 miles to my truck. It's actually hard enough just to get myself back.
Over the years it seems the deer have become more spooked. Most seasons I don't even see a buck during gun season. All I see are other hunters. They all seem to hunt farther back into the woods than they use too and there are less places for everyone to hunt on, forcing more guys onto the state land.

I went to a outfitter in S.C and in 3 daysI saw over 50 deer including several 8 pointers.
This outfitter took me to my stand and pick me up several hours later. He drags the deer to his truck and takes it right to a butcher. Did I mension that it isn't as cold in S.C. like it is in N.Y. in November?

I have done deep woods hunting, bow hunting,black powder,handgun, etc.
I have froz in late December to the point of frostbite on my toes.

I was ready to give up hunting out of frustration.

Using this outfitter is so nice. I highly recommend it.

Warren

Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

50+ years hunting in the States, Never!........Twice in Canada, Once in Argentina, Once in Venezuela and Once in Mexico..
Old 08-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Steve863

Steve, The Feeders have to be out of the woods one month before opening day. We can't hunt over bait here in MA and I don't intend to. I use the feeder to help bring the deer in until the plot takes off- which it is just about to do. I think you jumped the gun just a *tad* assuming I was hunting over a feeder. But that's OK- I don't know you, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Where it's legal to hunt over feeders, I have no problem with people who do it. However for me, that's something I simply can't do here in MA. Have a lovely hunting season, Rob

I wasn't implying that you did hunt over a feeder because there was no way for me to know for sure, but in many peoples minds hunting the "hard way" means getting out into the boonies to hunt and find deer without putting food out specifically for them. Your states rules dictate that feeders must be removed before hunting season which is fine, but nonetheless efforts were made beforehand to try to get them into the area by putting food out for them. Now I am not condemning you or anyone for hunting this particular way, we all use some sort of advantage to get our deer. I just think that the guy who hunts with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have without the use of food as an attractant is the one who should be considered hunting the "hard way" or at least the "harder way".
So that means this guy- "who hunts with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have", he doesn't use a grunt call or doe bleat, he doesn't rattle with antlers or a bag, he doesn't use any type of scent attractant......this guy- is hunting the harder way? Because when youget right down to it- any of the aforementioned items are nothing more than lures.

Food is a lure. Horns, Grunts & Bleats are audible lures. Scent attractants are olfactory lures. There's no debating this. These items are all used with the intention to trick the deer into thinking that something is there that really isn't there. Atleast the food is really there. That's whyit can't be down on the ground come opening day here in MA.

Furthermore, this guy- who's doing it the "harder" way, must also not be using camo clothing or cover scents. Because doing so, would not be hunting "with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have". As you havesubmitted above.

Let's take a poll. I'd like to know how many bowhunters out there do it the "harder" way like Steve is suggesting. I'd like to know who out there bowhunts deer and doesn't use ANY of the following:

- horns orrattle bags
- grunt call
- doe bleat
- scent attractant
- food attractants
- cover scent
- camo clothing

Let's hear it.

Rob
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Like I said in a previous post all types of hunting, if legal,are fine with me. Just keep on hunting.

I know for a fact being from Missouri, hunting in Ill, Ne, Co, Ark, Tn, Al, Wy, and of course Mo, there is plenty of free land to hunt. It's out there. Be it private, state, or national, it's there. In nearly 50 years of hunting, I've gone on a lot of out of state DIY hunts and only been skunked twice. I guess I'm lucky. Almost all cities have a Chamber of Commerce. You can call them to sometimes get a list of ranchers or farmers that allow hunting on their property. You can also call the game warden or the biologist from the areas you might be thinking of hunting.Now sometimes you may have to pay a trespass fee but it's usually well worth it and very reasonable. Also if you have hunting buddies the transportation cost, food, etc is shared. No matter how ya'll hunt, good luck this year and have fun.

Spudrow from MO

Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Graydawg,

I'm not a bowhunter, but when i do gun hunt, i rarely if ever use any of that stuff. It frustrates my dad and he will sometimes sneak up on me and douse me with cover scent before I head out. I am still getting used to the fact that people use "store bought" portable stands and climbers.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Greydog, most of us use all the items you mentioned. I know I do. To me the difference is that you have to learn to use them as opposed to just putting out food or using an outfitter.Even most conservation departments put out or pay farmers to plant food plots. I think the hard way that's being referred to is finding the land, learning it,scouting for sign, setting up stands, cutting shooting lanes etc. To me that's thefun and exciting part. Getting an animal is icing on the cake. Just to be able to go into an area considered to be the animals living room, doing all the things correctly, for them to not know you're thereis amazing and fulfilling. Especially if I did it the "hard way".

Spudrow from MO
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Graydawg,

I'm not a bowhunter, but when i do gun hunt, i rarely if ever use any of that stuff. It frustrates my dad and he will sometimes sneak up on me and douse me with cover scent before I head out. I am still getting used to the fact that people use "store bought" portable stands and climbers.
Lanse couche couche,
There is a world of difference between bow & gun hunting. The need to conceal oneself when gunhunting is dramatically reduced as compared to bowhunting. This is due to the fact that the effective killing range of a gunhunter versus that of a bowhunter is roughly 10x when gun hunting with a rifle. I say "10x" as a general figure based on 30 yards effective killing range for a bowhunter compared to 300 yards for a gunhunter.

This changes the entire landscape of what a bowhunter needs to do in order to get a deer within effective killing range compared to that of what a gunhunter needs to do. No knock to the gunhunters- it's simply a different game.

Rob
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt with shotgun and slug in Illinois, so you don't see anything near 300 yard shots. The last two deer that i killed would have been within bow range.I knew folks that bowhunted back in the 70s and 80s before all the toys became popular. They did pretty well without all that stuff as well.But, hunters do love their gadgets so over the years people have gotten used to using that stuff to the point that it seems that you have to have it.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Graydawg,

i use to build my own ladder stands out of wood but they are too heavy to carry 1.5+ miles in the swamp. imo, todays $300 climbing stands are well worth their price once you factor in cost of tools, machinery and time when building your own.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

So that means this guy- "who hunts with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have", he doesn't use a grunt call or doe bleat, he doesn't rattle with antlers or a bag, he doesn't use any type of scent attractant...... this guy- is hunting the harder way? Because when you get right down to it- any of the aforementioned items are nothing more than lures. Food is a lure. Horns, Grunts & Bleats are audible lures. Scent attractants are olfactory lures. There's no debating this. These items are all used with the intention to trick the deer into thinking that something is there that really isn't there. At least the food is really there. That's why it can't be down on the ground come opening day here in MA. Furthermore, this guy- who's doing it the "harder" way, must also not be using camo clothing or cover scents. Because doing so, would not be hunting "with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have". As you have submitted above. Let's take a poll. I'd like to know how many bowhunters out there do it the "harder" way like Steve is suggesting. I'd like to know who out there bowhunts deer and doesn't use ANY of the following: - horns or rattle bags - grunt call - doe bleat - scent attractant - food attractants - cover scent - camo clothing Let's hear it. Rob
Yep, I have tried rattling antlers, grunt and bleat calls. I can't say I have ever shot a deer using any of them. I no longer carry any of them while hunting, yet it has been a good while since I have not taken at least one deer during a hunting season. We don't have tons of deer in the area I hunt either. Doe permits are sometimes not even issued. I have also hunted where feeders were legal (Texas) and they sure DO attract deer better than any grunt or bleat call ever made! I am not saying that one will kill a B&C buck at every sitting near a feeder, but they certainly DO attract deer, turkey's, hogs, and all sorts of other critters. It makes life a lot easier for a hunter, I can assure you. Scents? I have never bought or used any of them. I really don't see any need for them .

Quick Reply: Outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.