HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Outfitters
Thread: Outfitters
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Steve863
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Outfitters

So that means this guy- "who hunts with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have", he doesn't use a grunt call or doe bleat, he doesn't rattle with antlers or a bag, he doesn't use any type of scent attractant...... this guy- is hunting the harder way? Because when you get right down to it- any of the aforementioned items are nothing more than lures. Food is a lure. Horns, Grunts & Bleats are audible lures. Scent attractants are olfactory lures. There's no debating this. These items are all used with the intention to trick the deer into thinking that something is there that really isn't there. At least the food is really there. That's why it can't be down on the ground come opening day here in MA. Furthermore, this guy- who's doing it the "harder" way, must also not be using camo clothing or cover scents. Because doing so, would not be hunting "with only his eyes, ears, feet and any hunting skill and patience he might have". As you have submitted above. Let's take a poll. I'd like to know how many bowhunters out there do it the "harder" way like Steve is suggesting. I'd like to know who out there bowhunts deer and doesn't use ANY of the following: - horns or rattle bags - grunt call - doe bleat - scent attractant - food attractants - cover scent - camo clothing Let's hear it. Rob
Yep, I have tried rattling antlers, grunt and bleat calls. I can't say I have ever shot a deer using any of them. I no longer carry any of them while hunting, yet it has been a good while since I have not taken at least one deer during a hunting season. We don't have tons of deer in the area I hunt either. Doe permits are sometimes not even issued. I have also hunted where feeders were legal (Texas) and they sure DO attract deer better than any grunt or bleat call ever made! I am not saying that one will kill a B&C buck at every sitting near a feeder, but they certainly DO attract deer, turkey's, hogs, and all sorts of other critters. It makes life a lot easier for a hunter, I can assure you. Scents? I have never bought or used any of them. I really don't see any need for them .