Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor Problems...

Old 08-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Neighbor Problems...

Ask him one more time, call law enforcement, If you can get video evidence that will help your case, if hes breaking the law by shooting from, or near a dwelling they can confiscate his guns. I had a similar issue last year with some kids from across the river from us, shooting into the river with a rifle, Dont knwo if they were shooting aft fish or what, but this went on for a month before I decided to investigate it. I drove across the river to the boat landing, they were out there, shooting into the river and across the river onto our side shooting at trees, they dont realize we have an ATV trail running no more 10 yards from the bank of the river on our side. One shot could have been devistating. I went back to the farm and called the sherrif. He arrived at the house where the shots were bing fired from, they got a fine for having an loaded uncased firearm on an ATV, wreckless endagerment, operating a firearm while intoxicated, and some others, and they lost a couple guns. I could care less that they were out there shooting boxes and boxes of shells like they were for days on end clear to midnight, but when it becomes a safety hazzard, something has to be done.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: NightFire

Do not go whoop his a$$ either, you are 19, a legal adult. An adult beating a minor down is not good, you would go to jail.
x2. Kudos to NF for the mature response.

I suggest a video camera. Tape him not once but a few times. I wouldn't take that over there and tell them about it, just keep that in mind so you're confident that he needs to knock it off. Its pretty easy for the cops to figure out whose telling the truth when there's video footage. Best luck and God bless.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM

i feel for you brother definitely the cops need to be informed!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cannot discharge a gun unless your 600ft away from a building. Thats it?
Geez I should move to Virginia.
Personally, I'd get in touch with a Private Investigator.
Tell him whats going on and get him to set up video cameras
and collect footage on just what this kid does.
Most of these guys are more than capable of getting the job done.
Law enforcement aren't going to do much for you.
If he's shooting at birds, (robins, blue birds, animals, that are protected and illegal to shoot) I'd take this route over trying to get him to stop shooting on his own property.
It may cost a few grand but it will work I'm sure.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try and talk to him. If that doesn't work, next time he shoots a songbird, crow, etc. let him know that you could turn him in for violating the Federal Migratory Bird Act and if caught it will result in $5,000 fine, jail and restitutions. Federal wardens take their birds very seriously. AMOF it is illegal for you to have in your possession a feather from a songbird, a nest or a few other things. Good luck,
Old 08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shamlin

I dont see how you can do anything.................. I mean is he shooting at your house, 100 ft away is relatively safe for birdshot........ what the problem as long as he is not firing buckshot at your house what the big deal.
If he is not within a city limits in GA it is legal to discharge a firearm when ever you want....... so unless he is raining on your house he is probally within his rights.
are you kidding??? thats hardley 30 yds! thats is easily close enough to inflict damage w/ some #6's. i know for a fact, my ol man got shot duck hunting by a STATE TROOPER who was off duty at 50 yds and dad will tell you thats no fun. seems like hes breaking the law discharging a firearm that close to a dwelling. maine is 300 ft from a house and 500 ft from a school. i have friends that have tested this issue and were heavily penalized by state law. ide call the police and let them handle it. if he harasses you during deer season call the wardens. thats hunter harrassment. make him pay w/ his wallet not by whoopin his butt ( which im usually all for)
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Called the game warden, DONT BE A SNITCH!!!! Handle the problem yourself. So what if he is shooting his gun, if he shoots ya.... kick his a$$, self defense. Any ways sounds like you might be the problem IMO. I would stop crying and leave the kid alone. Not trying to be mean but I can't stand SNITCHS!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Try and talk to him. If that doesn't work, next time he shoots a songbird, crow, etc. let him know that you could turn him in for violating the Federal Migratory Bird Act and if caught it will result in $5,000 fine, jail and restitutions. Federal wardens take their birds very seriously. AMOF it is illegal for you to have in your possession a feather from a songbird, a nest or a few other things. Good luck,
Are you kidding me!! I bet in school you were never invited to parties and always picked last in gym class.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I mean is he shooting at your house, 100 ft away is relatively safe for birdshot........
Another ballistic expert heard from. I hope you don't bird hunt.

As others have said get proof and let the law handle it. If you handle it on your own you are the one likely to get arrested and with a record you would not be able to posses your own firearm and there goes any thoughts of you hunting with one. Even though your'e a bow hunter you may change your mind someday.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just curious.
Whats it like in the States.As far as the success rate of prosectuing criminals for their crimes when it comes to wildlife.
Up here in Canada, I know alot of Cops and Co's that are retiring early or just quitting, cause our judicial system is bad bad.
They are having a hard time prosecuting alot ofcriminalson the charges they got, for the crimes commited especially when its hunting and fishing related.
These guys are fed up, and are going elsewhere.
I mean their fuel allowance only allows CO's to to a handle of roadblocks and game checksa year.
Its one thing for Police andCO'sto go up there,investigate, and start laying charges, its a totally nother thing for the for the courts to fine or jail these guys to the full extent of the law.
More often than not the charges are dropped cause of lack of evidence.
Sometimes,the guy pleads guilty to lesser chages and gets a small fine.
But its frustrating enough for me, to read in the papers about some criminal hunting and fishing activity that goes on
I can't imagine whats its like for the police and CO's prosecuters who do the investigating lay the charges just to have the case fall apart.

Quick Reply: Neighbor Problems...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.