Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to eat while hunting

Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default RE: what to eat while hunting

these are all really good suggestions i was thinking of doing the granola bars and some pb and j sandwiches maybe some other snack food just to cut the hunger. do many of you carry a camel pack or do you bring bottles? I have a hunting pack that has a place for a camle pack inside of it and was wondering if anyone had a preferance

Old 07-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I take water, protein bars, almonds, andsometimes Vienna Sausages.

My dad has killed 2 nice bucks while eating Vienna's!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually never take anytihng to my stand except a bottle of Mt.Dew! Everyone worried about scent control, well most foods have scent. Just another thing to worry about. If I do take anything its left in the truck.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I do a lot of still hunting, and can cover quite a bit of ground a dayI usually take a couple of sandwiches, a freeze dried meal, chips, and a camelbak full of water. Either that or a couple of freeze dried meals.
I can't tell you how many deer I have seen while lighting up the Pocket Rocket, and "cooking" a freeze dried meal.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take a water pb and j ,a snickers, and sometimes jerky
Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

have u all tried the root beer barrel hard candy, i love it because it keeps your mouth from being dry and it tastes great
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry lots of water, some home made trail mix, a few slices of home made jerky and sometimes commercial Granola bars. If it is big time cold, I might pack a small thermos of hot cocoa.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 PM

I bring foods that don't have too much odor.Light weight stuff like nuts {fat and energy} Jerky in a zip lock,(protein)and hydrate before I go out and bring at least 1 qt. of water no matter how long I think I'll be out in the woods. Some times I have some snacks in my bag from last year when I'm getting ready for the season.Better to throw them away now than to not have them before.Put those peanut bitter crackers in a zip lock too,less noise.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

only once did i bring food and that was a few peanuts
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Water and granola bars are the norm for me. If I know it's a long hike back to my stand then I will bring more. I've never worried too much about scent. I killed a buck a few years ago w/a can of sardines sitting on my lap. Crunchin' on crackers too.

Quick Reply: what to eat while hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.