Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to eat while hunting

Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to eat while hunting

Bring lots of water. I'm with the other guys and like to bring PJ sandwiches. I also gring a baggy of unwrapped hard candy. No wrappers and they help your mouth from getting dried out.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bottle of dr. pepper, rice crispy bars, a few milky ways for desert, and deer sticks.

I dont try to bring to much because than it will make to much noise opening and closing things and putting in the bag. Im also limited on the bag space beause it also carries my hunting supplies.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind if you can smell the food, so can the Deer or whatever your hunting for...

I have the smallest Camel Backpack and it holds 70 oz. of water, along with my essentials if I score.
Like my knife, GPS, calls, rope, two freezer bags (1 for the heart and 1 for the liver), surgical gloves, a few paper towels, bino's, safety pack,
compass, small folding saw and small scentless spray bottle.

And now to your direct question the food... Plain turkey / ham or pb&j (nothing to stinky) and granola bars, already unwrapped in a baggie.

When / if I'm hunting a stand I can climb the tree with the pack on and hang it on a limb, it's that easy.
If I have my climber on my back then my bow is in one hand and my pack in the other.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the info it will be a great help.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

whatever you bring think about the noise too. As Edcycloperia mentioned, anything in a noisy wrapper should be unwrapped and put in a plastic ziplock ready to eat
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

In cold weather I will bring a thermos with some hot soup, tomato, or chicken noodle. It can make all the difference in being able to stay put all day when the snow flies. Water, some sort of beverage with caffeine in it, snikers bar, sandwhich, a couple granola bars, and sunflower seeds to fight boredom.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very good points about noisy wrapper and smelly foods.

I don't worry about either...3 or 4 Tootsie Pops, some waterand I'm set for day.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM

While I'm a big proponent of carrying a map of your hunting grounds with you, its important to study it before you trip. The main nutritional reason is to know your proximity to water sources. Are there several streams nearby? Will you be near a lake? Is there only one water source? If you get lost, injured, or otherwise need extra time you need to know how close you are to water. On that note, while hunting solo I always carry iodine tablets with me. They're the lightest, smallest way to make water drinkable. All you need is a nalgene bottle or bladder reservior.

As far as food, I stick to trial mix. You're walking on trails so that's the law. Just kidding. Trail mix is easy to carry, non greasy, doesn't smell, and wont make your breath smell. its also loaded with fat and calories so you'll get more energy from it than from a comprable weight in apple slices. I concur with the beef jerkey fans, but don't carry it myself. Good luck and God bless.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually carry either 2 waters or 1 water and a Gatorade, thenan apple or 2 depending on the size, a granola bar or 2, and maybe a ziplok bag of trail mix. Sometimes a sandwich.
Soft chew candies like Drops can give a quick boost, though not the best nutrition. Caramel candies, nuts, raisins, dried figs, prunes, ... lots of options.

Everything is open to negotiation depending on what's in the camp larder. If all I have is bologna and bread then that will do. Anything tastes excellent if you are hungry enough. It's amazing how just an apple and even cold coffeecan boost your energy late in the afternoon.

I often hunt close enough to the truck that a 1/2 hour hike will put me there, and in real cold situations I'll make the trip back for a hot lunch of soup, sandwich (dunked in the soup and slurped up) and hot coffee and cookies. That helps me sit real still for the afternoon sit when the temps are hovering around 10-20F and with a stiff wind to go along with it..
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bring the nature valley bars and some of the root beer hard candy

Quick Reply: what to eat while hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.