Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

arc rangefinders

Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default arc rangefinders

i posted the same threadon gear reviews but ill post it here too. ive been looking at rangefinders and found one that i like. the leupold rxII it has the tbr (true ballistic range) on it. but after reading reviews alot of people have said its too hard to use and some said that the tbr doesnt work well if it works at all. trying to get some advise from all who have used the rangefinders w arc (angle range compensation) or tbr
Old 07-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: arc rangefinders

I have a Bushnell Elite 1500 with ARC which is the ballistic range. When I first got it I thought it didn't work right as any deer sized animal I looked at over900 yards it wouldn't read andwouldn't read over about 600 yards at a coyote. I called them and they told me I was probably too unsteady at those distances. I braced myself against a tree or something solid and holding the unit with 2 hands I now can get accurate reading at extreme distances. It may be the same senario with the Leopold. I can one-hand mine out to 300-400 yards on deer, but anything over you need to be very steady as the laser is very small and it doesn't take much movement tocause it to not work.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I own the RXII. The only failing that I have been able to find is the fact that it does NOT like to range BLACK animals. As in a black hog it just wont give me the range. In 3D tourneys it does not work with the black bears and black hogs etc. So I adjust and point it at their feet and it gives me the range. It works better than the Bushnell (and yes I tried them both) but I have yet to buy a Nikon with the TBR function. If you hunt from a treestand with a bow it is neat as hell and has helped me harvest uite a few animals I would never have pulled the release on because I had a hard time estimating the range from 30 feet up on a 34 yard target.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

thanks that helps a bunch i have a bushnell yardage pro it doesnt have the arc or tbr but it doesnt work well either it was kinda a cheapy i feel but thats only my opinion
Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Justordered one two days ago......Haven't had a to try it out yet.
but mine was as Bushnell 1000 w/arc
I hope it is as good as it seamed to be,in the sporting goods store.