Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Florida Deer Hunters

Old 03-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Florida Deer Hunters

On the news last night they said the Florida Game and Fish Division is going to hold public opinion meetings in the next couple of weeks to discuss possible changes in the deer hunting regulations. Seems they want to limit the number of young bucks being shot and are considering either a minimum number of point system or a tag system. Show up and speak now or you won' t have a voice in the matter.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:16 PM

Default RE: Florida Deer Hunters

the way I understand it,they are giving out questionaries to be filled out on suggestion on antlered deer for the coming year.
I just talked to the commission about it,they are sending me a copy.I am going to fill it out and add a sheet of names to it to let them know we don' t want a tag system.or any other restrictions.

there next scheuleded meeting is March 26th.-28th. in Tallahassee.

or you can go to the web page, www.floridaconservation.org

the phone # is 1-386-758-0525

I did this several years ago when we only had a three day B/P season.I sent in over 300 sigunatures on one sheet and 112 on another.that year they changed it to 9 days.I don' t know if I had anytrhing to do with it or not.I like to think I did.
so if you want to help,give them a call and get a form and send it back a.s.a.p.
[:-]
Old 03-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are called " Public Imput Meetings" and held every year prior to hunting season and the public can actually do that,..... have imput on rules, laws and regulations that will effect your future in hunting/fishing, ect. and if you decide " NOT" to go then don' t you go complaining why your favorite hunting area was closed, I " STRONGLY" suggest that you attend those meetings with your hunting buddies and be factual in makeing your suggestions/recommendations. The newspaper will usually cover these meetings also so conduct yourself as a professional. I really think you" ll have fun with it as you can always go as a spectatar. Enjoy
Old 03-11-2003, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I filled out a questionaire the day they were released. I am on the FWC email list. I get all of the info they release at the same time newspapers hear about it.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:21 AM

" " " " " " LONG ANSWER,PLEASE READ,BEFORE YOU CONDEM ME" " " " " "
I have hunted Fla. all my life;(hunted for about 50 years.)
all these changes have been made at one time or another.we still don' t and will never have " TROPHY" bucks.
back in the 60' s we brought in Wisconson bucks,and breed does.the limits were put at two a season,with 5" horns and was that way for years.we got more deer than the land could carry and still no big deer.
then we went back totwo a day,with doe days,1" horns,and the heards still grew and no bigger deer.
we do not have the food supply or the genetics to produce Large Trophy deer.
if you seperate the state in the same manner that the turkey popuplation it in,the line being the seperation for eastern and oseola.take the north portion,there are a lot bigger deer than the south portion.the farmning is heaver in the north than the south.
it could be possible to have larger bucks in the north,but " NEVER" in the south,there is just not the food supply to do it.

we have had to keep feed stations going year round for the past several years to just keep the deer in good health.we need to take more deer out of the heard(does and bucks) not limit the take.the carring capasity of a lot of central Fla. is at a maximum

there is one stretch of US hwy 19/98 about 23 miles long,you can go any night you want and see(I am not exaggerating)30 to 40 deer in the ditches looking for food.each year from the start of bow season till the end of turkey season,I will find two dozen or more deer ran over on that streatch of road.(that is the time I run that road).durning hunting seasons.

I think we need to leave the regulations as they are now,we just upped the does season to a full week last year.that should help some.

I have talked to and discussed this with a lot of people,they have sent in opinions;near 100 of them,and had only one person that thinks we need to go with change.

JMHO,;I will go with,leave as is.......my 2 cents,there are 98 more.....[:-]
Old 03-15-2003, 07:42 AM

How is the deer hunting in Florida? Some how I never thought of Florida as a deer hunting state.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:19 PM

Cball:we have about as many as you would want on the land.
my wife and I take several deer each year,and give a lot of meat,hamberger and sasague to people we know that need it.

the hunting is about as good as most places,just not real big deer. 125lbs. is a big buck.in my years of hunting,I took one 139lbs,and my wife took one 147,and 135 fielded. those were as big as I have saw.on the scales.

I see in the paper all the time 150lb deer,that look like a big germand shepard dog.(" not on the scales,just guestimate" )

come on down and tr them.[8D]