Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 biggest tree youve seen rubbed? >

biggest tree youve seen rubbed?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

biggest tree youve seen rubbed?

Old 02-23-2003, 06:53 PM

Default biggest tree youve seen rubbed?

ive never seen a tree bigger than 3" in diameter with a rub on it, im just curous to see what you guys have seen since almost all of you have more hunting experience than me. talking about whitetails here but ill take any species' s info if you can think of it.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: biggest tree youve seen rubbed?

ive seen lots of big rubs..most are little saplings from young bucks or saplings bug bucks TORE to pieces and i got there while it was fresh and could tell...ive always heard only big bucks can rub a big tree..i think thats true...a little buck can try but when you find a rub with a 6 inch dia with the bark rubbed off id bet its a big un...ive seen a few rubs about 6 inches in diameter.....one buck i seen that made rub on a pine tree about 7 or 8 inches in dia in a swamp area ....he was a BEAST....probally.....140-150 class...but i duno im not good at classing them......about an 16-20 inch spread atleast a BIG 8 pt...but i seen him at 100yds...its probally more points than that....thats what i could count...he was big....the other was a tree about..6 inches in diameter...and this buck was trotting at 100 yds or so and i could visibly see with my eyes that his rack was wider than his ears....he had a good rack...but i couldnt see for sure....both rubs i never found any more that big in the same area...mostly tore to pieces smaller trees...and the big rub always seems to be freshened up....but thats just what ive noticed on them 2.....
Old 02-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I measured a tree several years ago that was 7.7" diameter at the area of the rub and that is the largest I have seen.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:58 PM

ive never really seen any real big ones i see lots of little ones, but have seen a couple around 4-5 inces in diameter.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest I have ever seen are power pole line rubs, not torn up...but still very aggressive.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:46 AM

I wish I could post a pic of them, but, 5 years ago, a buddy and me were scouting after the season and we came across 3 rubs, that were at least the size of my thighs, which is about 10 to 12 inches in diameter, and the top of the rub area was roughly about 3 feet off of the ground. They were all within 50 yards of each other, and this is in N.W. Missouri, where we have only whitetails. I have never seen anything this size since.

I have hunted that area for years and still do, and I have witnessed some nice racks, but nothing that I could imagine would make this size of a rub. None of the neighbors hunt, and I never found any sheds past a 130 class. I suppose that there are times when a large buck had trashed this area chasing a doe out of his normal stomping ground, or a smaller buck could make a huge rub like this on a tree, stranger things have happened, like the deer on top of the power pole on the other thread.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Spike

Biggest i ever saw was @ 10" in dia,,,,,,we shot the deer 3 mins after it made it.They make alot of noise when they beat up a tree.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:28 AM

I' m with skeeter I' ve seen them rub on telephone poles! Not aggresively but they do it, I have seen them beat up big cedars real aggresively though.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on the telephone poles....at least on video I have seen it...

Most of the larger trees rubbed in my area are the cedars, as mentioned above. I would guess their diameter to be in the 5-6 inch range.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:58 AM

CEDARS in the 10-12" range cypress and oak in the 4-6" range

Quick Reply: biggest tree youve seen rubbed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.