Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Patterned a Buck

Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Patterned a Buck

I've got a buck I have been watching for the past 2 months. He comes out of the timber in the exact same spot every night. At this point I'd say he's around 140-150 inches give or take. He comes out fairly early and he is bedding in a very thick finger.

The problem I am having is that he's on the neighbor's property! the neighbor's north property line is our timber. The buck is bedding in the southwest corner of the field maybe 100 -150 yards away.He doesn't travel very far either. Any advice on how I could get him within range on Oct 1? I don't want to call at him that early in the season, but I also don't want to have him move out of the area with the rut approaching only to have someone else shoot him.

I know October 1st is a long way away, but I'm ready for the season to get here!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Patterned a Buck

Can you get permission on the neighbors property? If not maybe try and pour out some corn on your side. Just a thought, although I dont hunt over corn I know tons of people do.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

more than likely he will change his pattern come hunting season. also when the "rut" is on, patterns go out the window.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Patterning a buck in the off season and patterning in the season is a Coat of Many Colors!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Being from IL you know what to do with the 'dump out a lot of corn' suggestion.

It's a long way from Oct., patterns will most likely change between now and then.

If he's at least staying(for now) in an area near where you can hunt, you're in better shape then a lot of guys.

Since you have him 'patterned', and know exacly where he is bedding, even though it's on a neighbor's property,where is he coming from, and where is he going? Can you hunt there?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry grasshopper you are in perfect shape!!!! Because if he is really a 140-150 when it starts getting close to Oct1 he already knows to move back into that timber you say is yours!!!! A buck of that caliber wont stay out in the open trust me!!Find a great little ridge or rise in the woods about 200 yards in where he will have the wind sight and hearing to advatage and you will find his favorite bedding spot!! Walt
Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ahuh hell be changin his pattern within the next month

Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that he will be doing something different before October 1st gets here. I would start looking for what crops are going to be in the field late. I know in Illinois, a ton of deer are using bean fields right now, but they will before season starts (or shortly there after), so what food source will they (he) turn to next. Also, if the finger he is bedding in is very thick, there is a chance he will continue to bed in that. It would be very hard to sneek up on her there, he can see or smell anything coming. So that is a huge advantage to for you. You have a great starting point for getting on what sounds like a great deer, good luck and have fun chasing him.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now all that deer cares about is food and water, once the idea of finding the ladies kicks in, it's a whole new ball game. Is anybody hunting your neighbors property or is it just a sanctuary? I really wouldn't worry much, when the food source changes and his velvetcomes off he'll be findingdifferent routes out of his bedding area and hopefully one will be past your stand. Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

I see monster bucks all summer until they shed their velvet then they get on a spaceship until the rut.[8D]Then its usually a once or twice and done encounter.

Quick Reply: Patterned a Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.