Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Road hunters in your area?

Old 07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Road hunters in your area?

How bad is the road hunting in your area? During rifle season here in Ne, we have to be on our toes as to watching for guns out windows. I've had a truck with 3 people drive on the top side of a draw, right above me, stop with gun out the window see me and said "sorry" and drove off. Couldn't get up there in time to get license plate or anything. Does anyone have an ongoing problem with this also and if so do you turn people in or just let it go? Any good scares of your own?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Road hunters in your area?

little bit of a proplem
Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never seen it or even heard of it in the part of Illinois where I am from. That's not to say that it don't happen though.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 AM

Not so much right around here, we're pretty far back in the hills. What we have out here is not nearly so dangerous, but still not so good. Around here the farm boys sit in their trucks and drink beer, occasionally moving from one field to another...

They shoot some deer, too.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

where i am from poachers are like ants, it doesn't matter how many you catch, they just keep coming. the only thing i came up with is that i give the deer food and 24/7 security in places anywhere out of sight of any spot they can drive by or simply drop a guy off near the road. i think it is somewhat effective but at least it serves 2 purposes to your advantage.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Not much of it here and the Leo's are always setting up decoys to trap poachers.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The area of Central PA I hunt the game wardens set up ROBO DEER about 40 yards off the roads right at the tree line. They catch probably three or four a week.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The areas that I hunt are pretty remote and have little hunting pressure. Since it is a very large area I find that there are a few of those lazy hunters that just cruise down the one or two logging roads through the area. This type of hunting used to anger me tons but over the years I have used it for my advantage. These road hunters never leave their vehicles and the disturbance they make assist in keeping the deer in the deep bush where I am anyways. I'd bet that over the last couple of decades I have heard less than10 shots being taken by these hunters and I have only ever found 2 gut piles along the road. Every year I have filled my tags so in hind sight perhaps these warriors are doing me a favor. So to all you road hunters, "Say in your vehicles, enjoy the warmth and coffee. I'm sure if you drive long enough you'll get something".
Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Funny story. Several years ago i visited a friend in South Dakota and we went rabbit/pheasant hunting. He had permission to hunt several large tracts of land scatted across several miles. After a while we noticed that everywhere we went, someone in a truck would follow us and then park on the edge of the road in the general area that we were hunting toward when we started on a fence row. We eventually found out that the guy was deer hunting and was hoping that we would eventually run a deer toward him. Since South Dakota is pretty liberal in terms of hunting along roads, I assumed that it was legal but never checked into it.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vmartin

where i am from poachers are like ants, it doesn't matter how many you catch, they just keep coming. the only thing i came up with is that i give the deer food and 24/7 security in places anywhere out of sight of any spot they can drive by or simply drop a guy off near the road. i think it is somewhat effective but at least it serves 2 purposes to your advantage.
What part of Kansas are you in? I know there's some hunting done from roads at night around Ft. Scott! College kids have a "tournament" on some weekends where everyone puts ina case of beer and winner take all.

Quick Reply: Road hunters in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.