Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Road hunters in your area?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Road hunters in your area?

During Rifle season in PA it can be bad. in 05, I sat in a stand all morning. Saw the same Blue Blazer go up and down the road all morning. About 10:45 they stop and get out and post 25 yards off the road. I later found out their fellow 'hunters' were driving the property across the road. About 11ama 115" 8 walks in from behind me and I drop him with one shot. The lady road hunter walks up and says 'is it a buck or doe?' I lifted the head and showed her.

That was the last I heard of her until my buddy's phone rings and the 'drivers' from across the road tell him they can't believe I shot the buck from their Aunt. According to her, she was waiting for the buck to step out for a shot and I shot it from her. So my buddy asked, was she planning on shooting thru my buddy or waiting for him to move too?

Made me sick. Last time I rifle hunted in PA.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as being one my toes, I'm on them any where I hunt.
It can be like grandcentral station in someplaces between roadhunters and people in the bush.
I don't descriminate, most I see hunters I see, are people who practice safety and are very ver lawful,that goes bothfor huntersvehicles and in bush.
I've seen few in the bush who don't and from vehicles as well, that don't.
Have caught several bush hunters as well as road hunters, that shot the wrong deer, tresspaaing on private property, and don't have any optic to glass with other than a scope mounted on their gun.
I've said this before, if I do get shot at, they better get me on the first one cause the lead will be flying right back at them.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

"rloving1" i am not from that area, i am glad that i am not. where i am from they have something kind of the same, just locate a redneck on a friday night. "bill, hold my beer and watch this sh**!" bill dat dad gum deer wad bigger danda30pt buck i dun seen on "jiggity trail."i gal durn punched him in his dad gum jaw, no kiddin'diggity jiggity!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

does anyone here have a link to the jigity trail post? i haven't had a good laugh like that in a while.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our poaching has lessen in my area since the FWC has caught numerous peopleshooting at therobotic deer. I find it laughable that people have to stoop this low to kill a buck in my area when deer are so abundant
Old 07-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in one of the best hunting areas in southeast alabama and road hunters were a normal saturday night occurance. I know people with deer mounted on the wall right now they shot off posted land from the road a mile from my house. The GW's watched it close but couldn't keep up. One of my best leaders at my church has chot more deer out of season from the road then leagally and both his kids shot their's in the same manor back in his BS (Before Salvation) days. When he got saved the local land owners said histrue test would come during deer season.lol.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

We have very little land on the roads but what little there is there are some great mule deer and antelope. Years ago we would just give them a stern talking and let it slide but lately we have been prosecuting to the full extent and word must get around because it has decreased significantly. We not only have livestock in those pastures but we outfit also so we are relieved about the decrease in road hunters.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot...CA invented road hunters....i would estimate that 70-85% of hunters in Ca are road hunters. everywhere i hunt, there are road hunters...whether it is archery season or rifle season...i love to see the guy with a quad riding down the road with a bow strapped onto the front of it...cracks me up....sadley it is no illegal to road hunt, nor is it illegal to have a gun out of the window (only illegal to have it loaded)..so it is an everyday thing...if you are out hunting and don't see a road hunter then you are in a good area.......that said, i usually hunt away from roads and hike back to where i want to hunt, although there are a few good spots that i hunt in prime road hunting areas, i will park and get out to walk, but the roads are thick all around, but for some reason the deer will stay in there.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Spike

No hunting pressure in the woods but alot of hunting pressure along the roads
Old 07-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

I have found most big bucks on public ground in our area don't expose themselves to the road hunters long enough, if at all, to get shot. Not to say that the occasional undeserving spotlighter or coffee sipping dodge hunter, doesn't shoot an occassional monster buck that should have gone to someone more deserving. Most experienced hunters in our area use the way the game avoids the roads to their advantage. Some of the best set up spots when the bucks are chasing does are just over the backside of ridges from roads, you can still here cars drive by, but the deer must know they can't be seen and use these travel corridors.
I think the case could be different in non forest ground such as in farming areas where the deer come to feed in open fields in the evenings and mornings, since they are not afforded the cover from drive byes.
I think there is more to not road hunting than just safety and ethics, it simply isn't as effective for producing trophy game as getting out into the bush. Any one who spends all their hunting time in a vehicle is robbing themselves of the better opportunities of being even a few hundred yards away from the road, and missing out on the enjoyment that comes from being engrossed in nature.

Quick Reply: Road hunters in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.