Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head on or off?

Old 01-21-2002, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Head on or off?

I noticed a lot of folks in the head up or down section saying they left the head on when hanging a deer, why? I always remove the head when I skin a deer and am just wondering wht is the advantage of leaving a deers head on, I cut it off to maximize draining and to keep the hide/head free of blood.

The Tazman
Old 01-21-2002, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Head on or off?

If it was a big buck, I would leave the head on until it could be properly measured for mounting. But, I would tend to think that taking the head of would maximize draining as you do.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:56 AM

My dad taught me to hang the deer head down and spred the legs to keep the deer as cool as possible.I think alot of hunters keep the head on to show off the deer if it is a buck.
I think your way of cutting off the head can
let more cool air in to the deer.Maybe also the law states that the tag must stay on the deer untill it is butchered for Ident.Think of next year if A/R goes into effect a hunter could cut the heads off hang them say he got rid of the heads and shot a smaller buck or two.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

buckhunter in Va. we have to check our deer before we skin or butcher them, we can and do field dress them though. Our check stations are the ones that validate the deers sex and size and then issue you a seperate tag showing the deer has been checked, do not get me wrong this system can be cheated also unfortunantly. Do you have checking stations in Pa.?

The Tazman
Old 01-21-2002, 08:41 AM

Tazman,I see you have check stations and it would not be a problem there in your state.
No we do not have check stations here in Pa.
You can tag a deer drag it to your truck or camp hang it and either butcher it yourself or take it to a butcher.You see what I mean here in Pa of how important it would be to keep the tag attached to the head.I think check stations is the way to go here even if you let little places like pro shops,conv. stores, sporting goods etc have them it brings in business for them and you get a better count on the deer harvested.But I guess that is another issue.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have any check stations but they used to have random road blocks at the first of the season. .I always take the head off if they are hanging Taz.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

We hang our deer with head on until we skin them. We cut the head off as part of the skinning. We also have to check our deer in, so it may have to hang overnight or until the following night to check them in. Depending on how busy we are with work or whatever.

My Updated Page with Colorado 2001 Trip-
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 01-21-2002, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have game checks on opening weekend. So the head stays attached for that. As for hanging. I leave it on till I butcher it. No real reason just habit I guess.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:21 PM

I leave it on because I hang the deer by the head to skin.I just find it easier to skin that way.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:28 PM

Here in NC the head has to stay on for identification of sex until butchered. When we kill one we are required by law to call in and report it to the game commission. You have to give them your hunting license number and the commission will give you a kill card or possesion number. We can kill 6 deer per year with only 2 being bucks.

Quick Reply: Head on or off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.