Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 When do you clear shooting lanes? >

When do you clear shooting lanes?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do you clear shooting lanes?

Old 07-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Spike

Default RE: When do you clear shooting lanes?

I have 4 stands on my place. When I started hunting on my place I moved them during the gun season. Took me a few years, but I have them in the best spots now. They are in a spotsoI cancover the mostrouts that the deer use. When hunting keep notes on the deer moving on your place. When Igot my place, I made a topo map of it and marked it up with deer movement. Where I saw them at and witch waythy went. If you do that, it will soon show where to place your stands.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

The time is now! Do it early get out of there and stay out. I usually do it the same time I hang stands in July and I don't return till October.
X2....You want the area free of all scent and memory.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Never.

What's the point of going in to the woods and then cutting it down?

What's the point of camoflauging yourself and then showing every thing that walks, crawls or flys you are out there hacking down the cover?

What's the point of looking for a good concealment point and then cutting down the concealment?

What's the point of keeping your mouth shut aboutyour hunting spot you've worked hard to find and then showing every one who walks with in a 100 feet what you've found?

Look like nothing, smell like nothing, sound like nothing, kill like a ton of bricks falling out of the clear blue sky. That's my policy.
Point is, having viable shooting lanes to get get a shot off that won't be deflected. If you got BIG woods, or field surrounding your woods, maybe it's not big deal. For those of us that hunt in thicket, or thick woods, clearing shootinglanes and pathsis smart, and essential. I try to get all my cuting done by the 1st of August. Most of it I do in Febuary or March, but once everything turns green, I always find something in my way, especially 20 feet up a tree. Not everybody has the same hunting terrain, your comments are irresponsibe, and take nothing of others situations into consideration. Doesn't do me much good to find a honey hole, then not have a shot over 10 yards at anything. Make sense to you?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: valor10

Never.

What's the point of going in to the woods and then cutting it down?

What's the point of camoflauging yourself and then showing every thing that walks, crawls or flys you are out there hacking down the cover?

What's the point of looking for a good concealment point and then cutting down the concealment?

What's the point of keeping your mouth shut aboutyour hunting spot you've worked hard to find and then showing every one who walks with in a 100 feet what you've found?

Look like nothing, smell like nothing, sound like nothing, kill like a ton of bricks falling out of the clear blue sky. That's my policy.
Point is, having viable shooting lanes to get get a shot off that won't be deflected. If you got BIG woods, or field surrounding your woods, maybe it's not big deal. For those of us that hunt in thicket, or thick woods, clearing shootinglanes and pathsis smart, and essential. I try to get all my cuting done by the 1st of August. Most of it I do in Febuary or March, but once everything turns green, I always find something in my way, especially 20 feet up a tree. Not everybody has the same hunting terrain, your comments are irresponsibe, and take nothing of others situations into consideration. Doesn't do me much good to find a honey hole, then not have a shot over 10 yards at anything. Make sense to you?
I hunt thickets as thick as there is.

There's a good reason why the deer are using those, when they are using them. It's not because you have cut it all down.

No, going to the thickest stuff you can find because that's where the deer are and then standing in a place you have to cut it down to shoot doesn't make a whit of sense to me.

I hunt them. I never do it. Any one I take hunting with me that does it on a stand I put them on, will never go with me again.

Just because you say it's smart and essential doesn't make it so. That much is pretty obvious because I don't do it. There's not a single thing about my not doing it or recomending against it that is irresponsible. You just can't think of any logical support for your position and want to blow off.

If you want to do it. Then do it.

They ask. I don't do it. I don't recomend it. I said as much. Nothing at all irresponsible about logic. Ya should try it some time.

YOU are the one who is suppose to be taking the terrain in to consideration when you choose a spot, NOT ME. I didn't tell you to put your tree stand right behind another tree. LOL. How could I take your spot's terrain in to consideration? You going to send me pictures and pay for my expert opinion and suggested stand placement?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

I see. So instead of cutting trails in the spring or early summer that will allow you to get into areas safely, and QUIETLY, you'd rather bull your way through the brush at 5AM in October, making enough noise to scare anything within a quarter mile of you, let alone have briars ripping through your face? And instead of climbing your trees in the spring and early summer, in daylight, and surveying the area you're hunting making sure you've got CLEAR shooting lanes, you'll just fling an arrow or bullet at a deer at daybreakwithout really knowing what's between you and the animal? By the way, deer make TRAILS through the thicket, just like most of us.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Already done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: valor10

I see. So instead of cutting trails in the spring or early summer that will allow you to get into areas safely, and QUIETLY, you'd rather bull your way through the brush at 5AM in October, making enough noise to scare anything within a quarter mile of you, let alone have briars ripping through your face? And instead of climbing your trees in the spring and early summer, in daylight, and surveying the area you're hunting making sure you've got CLEAR shooting lanes, you'll just fling an arrow or bullet at a deer at daybreakwithout really knowing what's between you and the animal? By the way, deer make TRAILS through the thicket, just like most of us.
Let me check.

Nope, I didn't say any of that.

I guess if that's what you see, you must be hallucinating.

You better continue to mow down the brush or hunt on the lawn where you can tell what is real and what is only in your own mind.

BTW, thanks for the path clearing job. I'll use your path when ever I'm passing through like every one else does. I hope a dozen guys walking the easy trail in and out doesn't screw up the deer movement in a spot you've put so much effort in to. I might even sit in your spot on the way out and eat a sandwich. If I kill any thing I'll leave his balls pinned to your tree. Right above every one else's cigarette butts who notice the landing strips you've plowed through the brush.

In the mean time, I'm more positive than ever that I'm in the right spot as every thing begins doing their business and changing trails trying to avoid the industrial park you've begun laying out. At least you'll have a clear shot. At nothing, may be a few dinks and first year dummies that don't know what's up yet. LOL.

Ya know you can get a blade attachment for your weed whacker that will really lay down the brush.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

RIGHT NOW man, Now is the time. Cut your lanes and stay away as much as possible and come October / November.....your ready
Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

I'll be clearing my lanes the second weekend in August. I'll wait a month, then go back in and load the feeders and put my winter wheat food plot in.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going out to where I hunt next week to do that on my way home from work, plus check the feeder out and also the ground blind.

Quick Reply: When do you clear shooting lanes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.