Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 When do you clear shooting lanes? >

When do you clear shooting lanes?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do you clear shooting lanes?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When do you clear shooting lanes?

Wow! Jack! Buddy, you sure do have it all figured out. And if thats how you roll then I hope you kill a monster buck this year. But for the rest of us mortals...
I went andworked shooting lanes last week. I always try to go in July and get it all done in one day and then don't go back until opening day in September. First I scout for a few days and see where the deer are going and get an idea of their habits (even though they may change it will still give me an idea). Once I'mout thereI try to find trees that are about 5 or 6 yards off a funnel or natural path. Witha maximum oftwo narrow shooting lanes. If a deer passesthe first oneI'll be able to be ready for it to pass the other without it seeing me. I only trim a tree I'm climbing if I absolutly can't find a more suitable option.And I really don't like to trim much off shooting lanes BUT nature doesn't grow trees according to my specs usually. Also, try to go on day's when it's about to rain so to wash your scent away.
I usually mark the trees that I want to use with tape. Easier to find on opening day after 2 months away. But saying that I do hunt private land so there isn't pressure for others to use my "spot". You can also take some clothespins and put reflective tape on them and clip a path to your stand location so if you have a heavy fog one morning your not bumbling around.
Best of luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When do you clear shooting lanes?

Just got done clearing the rest of mine two days ago. Now this weekend I have one more trip out there to get the feeder running and then I am staying out until opening bow season.