Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun/ slug gun suggestion..

Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Default Gun/ slug gun suggestion..

I have a gourgous Remington 1100 I recently aquired in a trade, Has a 26"bbl Improved cyl bore. When I got it I thought it would be a great dove gun or scope it and use it for slug hunting...
Anyone have this set-up for slug hunting; What should I expect from it?
Problem is ; I dont feel comfortable taking a high gloss gun in the woods deer hunting. So Im thinking of trading it for either a rifle or slug gun, or sell it cash and buy something. [/align]
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Gun/ slug gun suggestion..

Well, it's a smoothbore with a non fixed barrel so it's not going to be incredibley accurate or give you a ton of range. Scoping it would honestly be a waste of time and money in my opinion. Your probably looking at a 75 yard weapon at best if your lucky and find some slugs it likes. And if you put a scope on the receiver and don't pin your barrel it may not hold a zero consistently, especially if you pull the barrel to clean it.

You could get an aftermarket rifled barrel with a cantilever mount or open sights that would work nice on that gun. Then you could deer hunt with it and still use it for a small game gun, just swap out barrels. Your looking at probably 100 to 150 yard range in most cases with a good rifled barrel and premium slugs that it likes.

However, if centerfire rifles are legal where you live get a rifle to deer hunt with. They are much more effective, normally more accurate and will increase your range over a slug gun. Not to mention they will actually be cheaper to shoot in some cases. Modern premium slugs cost nearly 5 dollars a shot!! My slug gun bullets are between 15 and 20 dollars for five, my .243 cartridges are around $30.00 per 20 for premium rounds, half that for some brands. I can't hunt with a rifle though where I live.

I don't know why anyone would pick a slug gun instead of rifle if it were legal unless you purposely wanted to handicap yourself to make it more challenging. Or possibly if you could only afford one gun to hunt small game and deer with. Just keep in mind the difference in performance between a smoothbore slug gun and a deer rifle are vast in many cases.

Paul
Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Suggest you buy a rifled barrel. This shoul give you 100 yrd accuracy.

Unless you are in love with Remington'shugh gloss finish, strip it off and redo. Finish the wood with either a natural , rubbed in "boiled" linseed oil finish ... or strip and then spray ona flat polyeurathane finish.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: trkyhntr247

I have a gourgous Remington 1100 I recently aquired in a trade, Has a 26"bbl Improved cyl bore. When I got it I thought it would be a great dove gun or scope it and use it for slug hunting...
Anyone have this set-up for slug hunting; What should I expect from it?
Problem is ; I dont feel comfortable taking a high gloss gun in the woods deer hunting. So Im thinking of trading it for either a rifle or slug gun, or sell it cash and buy something.

[/align]
If itis alate 60's or early 70's you don't have to worry about the finish cause they used an RKW finish, which is the samethat is used on Bowling Pins....You can order a Hastings rifled barrel for it...
Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

mostly have always used a rem 1100 with hastings slug barrel, rifled,

does the job,

high gloss blue I wouldn't worry about in the woods, sure black matte is nicer, but, a gloss blue doesn't concern me, maybe if it were a polished chrome, don't worry about the high gloss.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

buy some camo cloth to wrap the shotgun in to hide the glossy finish.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a lot of slug guns. I do have an 1100 with a fully rifled hastings bbl and rifle sights, this is my wifes setup and she hits everything she shoots at.. lol Most of her shots are within 50 yds but the gun is far more capable. Also have an 11-87 slug gun model with fully rifled bbl and cantaliever bbl, leupold 2-7 on top and it will touch all three slugs at 50 where it's 0'd.. (sight a slug in while it's still in iti's incline) Shoots maybe about 1-1/2 to 2 inches at 100..

Remingtons do good and are reliable. TC makes a good slug bbl and the heavy but accurate nef is a good one.. Of course it's tough to beat the Tar Hunt Dsg but it cost a bit more too.. A Bolts were good if you can find one..

Start by matching a slugs speed to your rifling twist.. I use Winchester Platinum Tip slugs. Have shot many many slugs and these seem to perform best out of my setups.. Of course with a smooth bbl if you stick with that you will shoot a rifle or foster style slug.. 50-75 yds at best.. anyway...
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM

I have a Winchester 1300 w/ 26" smooth bore, matte finish.Only thing I'veadded to itis TrueGlow fiber optic sights. I shoot $2 a box remington sluggers and nailed a 200 lb doe at 120 yards (1 shot) last opener.I wouldn't worry too much about that gloss finish.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Re: the gloss, if the only issue is visibility then you have a lot of good advice already. However if the issue is the value of the gun, your choices are either to accept that this is a field gun and accept at the same time the nicks, scratches, etc. Or, you can go find an ugly duckling and use it as your field gun. Used guns are a great value, and when one has a lot of external wear you can get it at a good price. Then who cares if you add one more scratch to it.

I bought an 870 once that was absolutely pristine. A couple years latergun season came around and I hadn't gotten a deer yet.I didn't want to take it out. I did, and got a deer, but decided to sell it and get something I wouldn't be so squeemish about USING. It's replacement is a Wingmaster that some genius laid on his garage floor and spray painted camo. Consequently, I got it extremely cheap, but it shoots every bit as good as the beauty.