Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

need a suggestion

Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Default need a suggestion

i am new to hunting and had no succes the first time but i am still hopeful, i enjoyed it so much it imspired me to take on bow huntign so i can get more time out in the field. i know the best way to pick out a bow is to try it and see what works best for mebut i dont have any oppurtunties to try any. unfortunately the only store i no that sells bows wont allow me to test them out and if they did there no place to do it. i need some suggestions on what would be a good beginner bow that will last me a while and any accesories such as sights or arrows, or if there are any packages you would recommend. i appreciate the help
Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 AM

Default RE: need a suggestion

I'm not sure what kind of draw weight you want, or length either, but there are quite a few out there that won't break the bank and shoot very good.

One of the first that comes to mind is the Browning Rage. 10 inches of draw length adjustment (21-31) and comes in 55 and 65 pound peak weights. VERY good shooting bows. We sell them in a package deal for under 400 bucks. Now, keep in mind, we're talking inexpensive accessories, but still functional.

The new Reflex line will be out in another month and they are always impressive. Little more money than the Rage, but not much. In fact, a couple of their bows are about that price, bare bow.

Diamond is a solid choice as well, though I don't know much about them. I just know from reading these forums that they are high quality bows, made by bowtech.

This is a good time of year to be looking. The '08 models are coming out and folks are trading up for new. You could get a HELLUVA deal on a 1 or 2 year old bow right now. There are quite a few others that I didn't mention, those just came to mind. It's too bad you can't shoot them first, you really need to.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:17 AM

what's your budget??

age?? physical dimensions (height, weight, strength, etc.)??
Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

John,

You can find some decent articles to read on www.huntersfriend.com. Pay particular attention to the articla on draw length---this is paramount. Don't overbow yourself. 60#, if you can draw it is plenty for anything in North America. More is just overkill and you don't need to struggle with a bow while learning to shoot. Being new, pick a bow that is adjustable for draw length. Remember this. Do not pick a bow that is draw length specific.

See if you have any local archery clubs. Join and get to know people. They're always willing to help.
DO NOT buy from a store that won't let you try bows. They are not in the archery business. Dig out the phone book and look in the yellow pages and see where there is a pro shop nearest you.

First thing to do when looking at bows is to set a budget---period. Then, if you can, shoot bows within your budget for comparison. Keep notes on what feels how, your likes and dislikes on each bow. Narrow the field. Don't be concerned about what brand it is and don't let peer pressure influence you. Everybody makes good bows so this is not an issue. Don't be in a hurry either and don't let anybody pressure you. It's your money you'll be spending so take your time and pick wisely.

Any questions you can always check back.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:53 PM

im looking to spend no more then $500 for eveything, im 20 6ft and 220 lbs
Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: moss50012

im looking to spend no more then $500 for eveything, im 20 6ft and 220 lbs
The Diamond line is an excellent choice for a bow that will cover most everyone, cost wise, as well as performance wise. Also don't overlook the Bowtech TomKat. Packages are available in several of those bows helping to get you shooting quicker and saving you some time and money. Most importantly get with a good Pro Shop or an experienced archer in your areaand make sure you get fit properly. Don't over bow yourself 60# is ample for anything in North America.

Dan
Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Spike

A few things I got for you, I am also new to this and found this site after I got my gear butmost of these guys on here are very, very knowledgeble and love the the sport, and are willing to pass along their knowledge and experiences, butlike everywhere there are a few bad eggsjust ignore them. The next thing is stick to the budget cause buddy this is a dangerously expensive sport,my budget like yours started at $500 absolutely no more than $600, that was two months ago I am now at$1282.00(my wife makes sure to let me know often)gear, clothes, targets, treestands, the list just keeps on going. That isn't to scare you out of it just make sure you stick to your guns and stay strong anjoy most of allenjoy it because its awsome and I am hooked!