Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer dirt

Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 PM

Default deer dirt

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried the product called deer dirt. You are supposed to make a mock scrape and spread the deer dirt and the scent is supposed to keep the deer comming. I guess its even waterproof for quite awhile.The magazineshave said good things about it. Anyways I bought two packages awhile back out of curriosity, I don't want to waste my time with something that doesn't work.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer dirt

never heard of it
Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

When the rut starts and there are scrapes everywhere try peeing in the scrape yourself. He will work it like another buck is infringing inthe area..
Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

When the rut starts and there are scrapes everywhere try peeing in the scrape yourself. He will work it like another buck is infringing inthe area..
this is what i have been preaching on here for years, but everyone still believes it will scare away deer.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow another gimmick. go figure....go out to state or county land when the bucks start macking scrapes, findone, take some of that dirt put in a good sized ziplock bag, and make your own mock scrape with that. why pay for somethign you can get free some place else.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Inactive

If you have aleady bought 2 packages - just go ahead and try it, Then you will know for sure,
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: x-mountie

If you have aleady bought 2 packages - just go ahead and try it, Then you will know for sure,
Yeah!........and let us know!.....
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

I saw a guy using that stuff on a hunting show. Concept sounds good, but I am not sure. Give is a try, I would find a place with no scrape and set a camera up for a couple days before to see if any deer come to that spot for any reason. Then spread that dirt around and see what happens afterwards. I would also set up another camera and do the same thing only this time I would piss on the spot yourself. See what happens.

Jake
Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion another gimmick. Like another said, you want a "real mock scrape" ... shovel up some scrape dirt. Make a "new" one. It's free. And like my good buddy said, "If it's free, it's for me!" A good trick that I know first hand works (sometimes???) is to collect the "wet" tarsal glands for bucks killed. Use these to stink up an overhanging limb near your stand. Can hang it near by. I think this works best to hang away from your stand but where you can "see" the scent line of the gland's stench. In some 25 years of doing this have had at least 9 mature bucks do a turn around and come straight at the tarsal. They all went to the butcher shop. You can "save" the tarsal by freezing between uses.

Another "free-bee" is to collect the urine from deer bladders. Strain it though a coffee filter to remove dirt, hair, clotted blood, etc. Use this to make a "drag-rag". I do not attempt to separate doe from buck urine. Maybe it would make a difference. I'm just too lazy to go through that much trouble. I have had many, many deer track my drag. Most of them immature deer. I have had a few, including my best, hit the scent line of a rag trail and come in trotting looking hard. I even had a bobcat trail the drag track right to the base of my ladder stand. I waved at it and it skedaddled out of there. You can keep this pee season to season by freezing it. I would suggest a clear marking of what it is though !!!