Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Seeing deer

Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Seeing deer

When do you hunters see most of yourdeer??? Ex...
-time of day -weather -time of year -and anything else you'd like to add
-thanks
Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Seeing deer

as kind of a guideline i also go by age class and sex of deer... kansas: summer through about september there is a posabilaty to catch a big buck out during some daylight ours in the morning and evening. october comes and things slow down for a while, patterns change, i try to set outside of a bedding area to rattle in some curious bucks. november heats things up to the max and around november 10 you can catch a dominant buck trying to herd does away from other deer. november 15-20 all the bucks are running all over all the time, i rarely get out of a treestand during daylight hours. right after the last does go out of heat you can start looking for those bucks trying to regain weight on any of the highest protein diets during the day.

when it comes to does and younger bucks (3 years and under) they are a completely different animal, they are much easier to find and usually use different trails as the mature bucks.

this is only my own observations, it isn't 100% fool proof, this debate over timing and rut patterns can get pretty lengthy.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

most of the deer i see are during the morning hunts, between 0700 and 1100 hrs.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the deer I see is between rut times and around 6:30-8 in the morning. The wheather is usually a bit cold. Not freezing but a tad bit cold.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 AM

The number of deer you see and when depends on where you are hunting. I live and hunt in Maryland and in the past 20 years of hunting, there have been maybe 15-20 days when I didn't see deer. I have seen them in the morning, evening and sometimes during lunch hours. When it's not during the rut, I have seen big bucks sneaking back to their bedding areas early in the morning. During the rut everything goes out the window.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Up here, pre and post rut, the last ten minutes of the day. (can hunt till 1/2 hour after sunset and the last 10 min. of that time is awesome). Most start coming out around sundown but the last 10 min.is out of this world. During the rut, which is 3rd-4th week in Nov., you can see them all day and from any direction. The big boys are, as we call it, "are running stupid". Usually that time corresponds with the last few days of ML and the first few of rifle. Depending on weather and moon phasethe rut couldvary about a week earlier or a week later.