Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3) >

Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

I am currently in the market for a long(er) range option to use as a treestand gun for the IL firearm deer season. It happens from time to time that a 24" rifle sightedsmoothbore just doesn't have enough.

Right now I have it narrowed down to a NEF USH(12 or 20) or a similar priced Muzzleloader, let's say $250-300 + scope. I'm looking at the CVA Optima or Knight Shadow at this point, but could easily go with something else.

- I have never owned a muzzleloader
- I am aware of the time it may take to get either one of these possibly picky weapons to perform like I want it, with the ML most likely taking more time.
- The single shot 'limit' of the NEF or the reload time of the ML doesn't really affect me. I'm usually a tightwad with my shots anyway, or I'm just that good.
-I am not in love with the idea of spending $3 for each sabot deer slug.
-Both weapons are perfectly legal to use during the standard IL firearm season, with the ML having an extra weekend later in the season.
-The Ml will open up the option of future out of state hunts(I have an uncle with some ground on the CO/WY border)
- I know how it will go in setting up the NEF, but my main issue at this point overall is the 'unknown' (to me) on figuring out the ML.

Settle the debate...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dedicated Slugger vs. ML

I have the 1st generation Knight in-line Muzzleloader and shoot better to 100 yards with this gun verses my .270.
Extremly accurate with holes eclipsing each other.
I don't think you will be disappointed??!!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

A modern muzzy with a good scope that you take time to get the best load figured out for should have a lot better range than a shotgun.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 AM

I know. I'm just hung up on taking the plunge into something that I have no experience with. I've been shooting my whole life, but never even touched a muzzleloader.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not yet owning one is reason enough to buy a ML. The extra weekend is a bonus too.

If you are at least moderately experienced with guns, Iwould consider a Savage smokeless ML, you could buy a $150-ish scope to make up the difference in the price of the gun. You will certainly get the range you're looking for. I can't say how fussy they are, but they are no worse than other MLs.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man that's alot of questions/variables.

The shotgun shouldn't be nearly as hard to get "set-up" (dialed in).
The shotgun will actually give you the option, given the chanceto re-load.
The shotgun will be easier to clean, keep clean and haveless potential problems.
20 gauge or 12 gaugewill suffice.

The ML may be a bit more accurate and offer some more range. (Alot is in the shooters hands)
The ML will be a bit lighter.
The ML can be used in other states for you.

In regards to the shotgun we have a couple H&R USHs. Mine is a 12 gauge and my boys have a 20 gauge. They both shoot fantasticly. We do sit alot of crop field edges and take longer shots. They have been loned out to others who have been wowed by them.

Good luck in what ever direction you go. Season will upon us in no time.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Well, I just applied for a IL muzzleloader tag, so now that I'm already $16.50 in the hole I might as well go for the whole enchilada.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in NJ, shotgun or muzzleloader only, and I also hunt Brown County, Illinois on my friends 2500 acre farm. I love hunting with both the shotgun and muzzleloader. If you get the muzzleloader then you can use it during the shotgun season and then in the muzzleloader only season. I do love my H&R Ultra Deluxe, I have it in 20ga. using Hornady SST Slugs
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really need to go get the ML. I have bowhunted and gun hunted for years and really enjoy the extra time in the field the Muzzleloader provides. I was hesitant to get into ML at first because I thought it was too complicated. I use it in rifle season here in NC now and it is great. My lady just got the TC Triumph and it is a great gun. It also came with a great DVD on cleaning/loading and options as well as abunch of hunts. Good Luck
Old 06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

well a ML is a nice option, but in IL, that only allows you to use it during 2nd firearm season or late season doe only ML season....so you'll still need a slugger for that 1st gun season....

Quick Reply: Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.