HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 AM
il coyote

Default Dedicated Slugger vs. ML(update p3)

I am currently in the market for a long(er) range option to use as a treestand gun for the IL firearm deer season. It happens from time to time that a 24" rifle sightedsmoothbore just doesn't have enough.

Right now I have it narrowed down to a NEF USH(12 or 20) or a similar priced Muzzleloader, let's say $250-300 + scope. I'm looking at the CVA Optima or Knight Shadow at this point, but could easily go with something else.

- I have never owned a muzzleloader
- I am aware of the time it may take to get either one of these possibly picky weapons to perform like I want it, with the ML most likely taking more time.
- The single shot 'limit' of the NEF or the reload time of the ML doesn't really affect me. I'm usually a tightwad with my shots anyway, or I'm just that good.
-I am not in love with the idea of spending $3 for each sabot deer slug.
-Both weapons are perfectly legal to use during the standard IL firearm season, with the ML having an extra weekend later in the season.
-The Ml will open up the option of future out of state hunts(I have an uncle with some ground on the CO/WY border)
- I know how it will go in setting up the NEF, but my main issue at this point overall is the 'unknown' (to me) on figuring out the ML.

Settle the debate...