Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

post kill question?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: post kill question?

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Drag it by the antlers but only as far as the nearest access road and them load em into the gator
wat i was asking was is it ok to drag em by the antlers or is that a litle risky
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan on having the deer mounted it is never a good idea to drag it. You can look at mounts and tell which deer was dragged out and which deer was not, it take alot of hair off and it shows. If you do not have access to a four wheeler, or you cannot it a truck to it, take a tarp and drag the deer out on a tarp. It will really help the mount look much nicer.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

We always drag them by the antlers, but i have pulled offsome antlersthe last couple weeks of the season. If I was going to mount it, I would drag it by the legs.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I drug mine by the antlers this year. I have done so in the past. However, after the rut and into January I'd be thinking of other ways of dragging them. The problem with pulling them by the neck is if your going to mount it your pulling alot of the hair off. A friend of mine shot a nice buck this year that he hung by the neck for fear the antlers would come off. His taxi still has it but I wondered how that effects the hide.

If I have to drag it long distance I usualy try to pack a small plastic peice to put underneath to make it easier to pull. This keeps them clean and is much easier to pull. I know they sold some made for this but I always use a cheap roll up kids snow sled.

I don't have and ATV so thats how I do it. I bring the truck as close as I can so I drag as little as I can.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

well the way i pulled it was grabbing 1 feont leg and my dad grabbed the other and we just pulled it about 35 yards through thick brush and woods
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

we will pull them by their antlers if they are on there solid...my buddy shot a half rack one year and they drug it by the antler and it fell off...ive felt a few thats were a little "loose" i wont drag them ones by the antlers...if i want it mounted i drag it by the antlers to keep the cape as high off the ground as possible..
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

where we hunt in northern maine you would never ever get a 4wheeler to your deer. unless of course your a guy whop only goes a couple three hundred yards off a rd/ trail and sits down. we kill most of our bucks trackin and you might be a couple miles from a rd.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

i say early i the year, no problem. but once it gets later in the season i wouldnt
Old 06-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

game cart