Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

There comes a time

Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default There comes a time

in every mans life when things just seem to come together.

I have been hunting and fishinghard for the past 8 years or so. Mostly waterfowl and other small critters. I've been very successful with waterfowl and have filled up the freezer in just a couple of weeks more times than I can count.

I am 26 years old have shot only 1 deer. It was 6 yrs ago when I lived with my parents. I have had the opportunity to kill many more deer since then and haven't. Why you ask.....I thought you would never ask..........

I would go out hunting and many-a-deer would present that beautiful broad-side that we all dream about, and I just couldn't pull the trigger. The reasoning for this may sound rediculous to you, maybe even uncomprehensible............I didn't have a freezer to put the meat in. You see....when I lived with my parents we had an old stand-up freezer that would make an eskimo proud it was so cold. My parents divorced and I needed to find my own place. I found a nice 2 bedroom apartment with a buddy of mine and it didn't have the space for that old freezer.

Within the past 5 years I have gotten married and have 2 kids and my own house. Well last night I picked up the mack-daddy of chest freezers. She is a beautiful 10cu.ft. freezing machine dressed in white.

This all may seem strange to all of you but, it just makes me reflect all those shots I passed up and still had a great time. It's just a reminder that you always don't need to make that kill.....it's nice just to be out there by yourself or with friends/family. I knew when putting on my boots to get into the tree stand that I wouldn't take that shot, but I was just as excited to get out there as if my freezer was already full.

Thanks for reading

Adam
Old 06-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: There comes a time

Excellent read Adam!!! Very well said.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Words well chosen.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow. I feel bad for you. Really.

I also love being able to go out to my stand and sit and just watch nature at its normal life. I dont care one bit if I dont get my trophy buck that I want, im just glad that I acually have a opportunity to be out in the woods.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Did you even bother taking a weapon with you? You could have just donated the venison to the homeless or given it to friends and family.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you are talking about too. I am getting where I dont really care about killing another deer or not- what have I got another set of antlers?I go to watch nature in a surreal setting. Or to run deer dogs andwatch/hear my puppies mature into great hunting dogs. Doghunters take alotof pride intheir dogs, way more than any set of antlers or deer will ever bring.

You could have gave the venison to a program like farmers and hunters feeding the hungary or to needy families. Between my dad, brother, and me we fill up two freezers and give all the rest of the venison away.I am sure you can think of someone to give the venison to who might be in need?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have donated a couple of deer. But that wasn't the point of my story. I have given away hundreds of pounds of meat in the past 5 years. I can finally do it for me. Thats all I'm saying. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: adam11082

I have donated a couple of deer. But that wasn't the point of my story. I have given away hundreds of pounds of meat in the past 5 years. I can finally do it for me. Thats all I'm saying. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Well get that freezer filled up this fall..........
Old 06-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Seems to me you matured in that field way eariler than most--I hunted for close to 40years and I can trually say that I have started slowing down and really enjoying the outdoors more and now my great hunts are not based on kills(theLORD knows I killed a bunch in all these years) Your way of thinking usually comes with age!!

Good words --Good hunting and God Bless!!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you BowKnutt. I definately matured faster than others. I was diagnosed with a severe heart condition when I was 16 and went under the knife twice to correct the problem. I almost died in that time several times.

Everyday I get to spend in the blind or in the stand is a gift. It's therapy for my soul.

Quick Reply: There comes a time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.