Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fawns

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fawns

I just saw one tonight cross the road with its mom
Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

As weird as it may sound to you "northern" folks, the peak of the breeding season here in SE Alabama is mid to late January ... even later. Do the math. No fawns from that groupyet. I have seen tiny, obviously less than a month old fawns, as late as early December. However, there are some areas of Alabama where the decimated Alabama herd was restocked in the 1930's +/- time frame with deer from up north. Mostlyon the US National Forest lands. The peak breeding season of these is more like late November-early December.I hunt in an area near Eufaula. We have 2 distinct times when there are at least some doesin full estrus. It is very disticnt and very obvious. The early one is because of the remnants of the northern, stocking in a nearby National Forest that have expanded their range over the decades and the later from thenative herd. On this property seveal years,last year as an expample, I have seen bucks running does in mid March and active scrapes way down into late turkey season (April). I wish I knew more about why this prolonged "rut" exists.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw two fawns standing in the middle of theroad alone, with no mother around. She may have been hit by a car. I drove towards them slowly so that they wouldnt get hit and made sure they took off into the woods. They ran along side my truck for a good forty yards before darting off into the woods.. Pretty cool to watch.

Adam Bowman
Southwest Ohio
Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

That is pretty interesting that you guys have two distinct ruts, but I guess it makes sense if some of the herd is from up north. Up in NY deer season ends in early december, I couldn't imagine being able to hunting into the middle of january!

But its cool that a lot of guys are seeing fawns, it seems like early in the summer I don't see too many but then towards the middle of the summer all of a sudden there are fawns in every field. They certainly are cute little devils, almost makes you feel a little guilty that you will be trying to kill them in a few years.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 PM

We caught a glimps of one the other day but the mom kept putting it in the tall grass so couldn't get a pic of it.