Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

good spot for tree stand>?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Default RE: good spot for tree stand>?

yeah the spot where i was going to put my stand i am now makeing a blind to put there
i moved the stand yesterday and ill get pics
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM

If you are in the wide open, then make sure you are high in the tree and wear white.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

ANother thing I learned is make sure you know where the sun rises and sets...... if you are facing either then you are in for an uncomfortable blinding sit.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 AM

that is a good idea i never thought of that
Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can put your stand on the edge or in a spot with little background cover if you want but the deal is you better be motionless.... The reason deer see us is we end up moving thinking they are not around. If you have trees behind you you are better off because instead of seeing your whole body move or your arm or leg they get a broken veiw of the movement and may think it was a squirell of bird.

This is a mistake many people make. I have for sure in the past. I've used climbers on straight trees with little up top. Made for a great climb but I had nothing around me for cover. You could get lucky but like others have siad the best thing is to get back into the trees a bit and make sure you have cover from the deers view.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the pics.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:02 PM

ill get them tomrorow if its still up

we have had tornadoes hittin us hard and i hope its still up
Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

You can put your stand on the edge or in a spot with little background cover if you want but the deal is you better be motionless.... The reason deer see us is we end up moving thinking they are not around. If you have trees behind you you are better off because instead of seeing your whole body move or your arm or leg they get a broken veiw of the movement and may think it was a squirell of bird.
I agree wholeheartedly with the statement above! We have one stand location which is hung on astraight tree trunk withan angled trunk making a perfect setup with our outline broken up from all directions. We have been using this stand location for three years now and the deer never pick us up because you are concealed when in the stand.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

You don't want to put up a ladder stand right out in the open on a field edge,but if you step it back a little behind a few tree's with plenty of cover you'll be just fine.I was going to put my ladder stand on the very front tree over-looking a big open CRP field and my friend told me to put it back about 2 tree's deeper and it is in great cover and the deer are always walking past it,since then I have shot several deers from that very same stand.A climbing stand would work closer to a field edge if you can get it high enough to be covered and your scent will be less detected by a deer.Another thing to consider is being able to get into your stand and leave it without being seen by any deer in that area.
I agree with this partially, if you are not used to sitting in a stand and you dont have a good dicipline about yourself ( sittin still) then put it in cover. The thing is you dont want to sacafice any visiblity. Basically if you are hunting over a feild you want to be able to see as much as possible. Furthermore if you have a ladder stand with a blind even better, put it where you have the most realistate to overlook.
I do use a climber alot myself, but the problem in to movement and noise that comes from a climber. You will be much more effective sneaking in as quiet as possible a a ladder stand is by far quiet and quickly asseciable.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another consideration, and it is a biggie in my way of thinking, is to find a good route in and out. You want to take the route that least disturbs the area, and the one that mitigates as much as practical spreading your scent.In my 40+ years of deer huting, it is always necessary tomanage not being "scented'... always. Huntingfrom an elevated stand can certainly hep that cause. But if you leave a 1/2 mile long wall of scent line getting in, and this seems especially true for the daybreak hunt as well stay at home.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM

yeah i just spray down with scent blocker and do a scent drag

Quick Reply: good spot for tree stand>?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.