HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - good spot for tree stand>?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
shamlin

Default RE: good spot for tree stand>?

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

You don't want to put up a ladder stand right out in the open on a field edge,but if you step it back a little behind a few tree's with plenty of cover you'll be just fine.I was going to put my ladder stand on the very front tree over-looking a big open CRP field and my friend told me to put it back about 2 tree's deeper and it is in great cover and the deer are always walking past it,since then I have shot several deers from that very same stand.A climbing stand would work closer to a field edge if you can get it high enough to be covered and your scent will be less detected by a deer.Another thing to consider is being able to get into your stand and leave it without being seen by any deer in that area.
I agree with this partially, if you are not used to sitting in a stand and you dont have a good dicipline about yourself ( sittin still) then put it in cover. The thing is you dont want to sacafice any visiblity. Basically if you are hunting over a feild you want to be able to see as much as possible. Furthermore if you have a ladder stand with a blind even better, put it where you have the most realistate to overlook.
I do use a climber alot myself, but the problem in to movement and noise that comes from a climber. You will be much more effective sneaking in as quiet as possible a a ladder stand is by far quiet and quickly asseciable.