Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help..im new to california

Old 05-26-2008, 06:49 PM

Default help..im new to california

My name is cj and im in the United States Air Force..im originally from arkansas and love hunting..i grew up hunting all my life..but now im stationed in california and i have no idea where to even start..i know they dont have whitetails here but black tails and mule deer will work fine for me..as long as im in the woods during hunting season and it has a rack..ill be happy..I got a california hunting regulation book whitch is like a damn magazine..and kind of complicated compared to the one in arkansas..but anyways..if anyone has any information on where there are good locations to hunt near fairfield/travis air force base area please post any info you have. thankyou very much and prey for our troops fighting for the country
Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: help..im new to california

Sorry that your in California...And good luck!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 AM

Default RE: help..im new to california

Nearest public land near you is cache creek or Knoxville. It is hot during A zone. B-zone is north but has unlimited public land with a variety of climates. Those are both over-the-counter blacktail tags. BTW, California produces the most B&C blacktails. The mule deer zones are mostly draw and are due in a few days (x-zones).

I hunt whitetails every year as well as blacktails and mulies. Blacktail is by far the toughest, rifle or bow. Being in the military I assume you are in shape. Scout now for A-zone as the archery season opens the 2nd week of July. The country is thick brush with steep hills. Unless you really get dialed into a spot, you will not be able to set up a stand and wait (a good rock will work during rifle season). Deer densities are scarce. If you do not know the lay of the land you will blow the bucks out of the area and never know they were there.

Good luck