Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Uh oh.... Wolves in Indiana.......... >

Uh oh.... Wolves in Indiana..........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Uh oh.... Wolves in Indiana..........

Old 05-24-2008, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Uh oh.... Wolves in Indiana..........

brisrowboy:

I am originally from Crawford County moved away in the sixty's, but have hunted Southern IN almost every year since then.

I didn't read all the post here regarding wolves. However I can offer the following:

In the 70' there was a guy from near Dubois who shot or trapped several wolves the pictures were in the local papers and one of the guys at our camp shot one near Haysville (North of Jasper) in the 90's during deer season. It was a big male. We didn't have much time we were on our way to WV to hunt the following day. It was wounded and we made a final effort to look for it on the way out of camp. It had traveled about 100 yards and was hiding in a stubby picked corn row. My buddy finish it off and two of us carried it to a nearby ditch. Three of us saw it but unfortunately we didn't take a picture...no camera at the camp "Bad Luck."

The area has many coyotes...

Wolves in Southern IN.....I believe......
Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Uh oh.... Wolves in Indiana..........

I never posted on here but decided to after reading the discussion. I live in southern Indiana and was told by a local farmer in Spencer County that the DNR had released several pairs of animals in the 90's. One of the pairs were timber wolves. The DNR made a point to tell the locals what they had done and warned them not to shoot them. The farmer laughed because they had let them go near some DNR ground in the bottoms by the roadside. Most of the animals had returned to the same spot and were ran over by cars. He never really said what happened to the wolves but insinuated that they were probably no longer around. They have also released timber rattlers near Patoka Lake here in southern Indiana.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Spike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRGDvPVaTIc

Sorry I know this is a very old thread but I found this forum while searching for answers about wolves in Indiana. This was the topic that brought me here.

Last edited by ladykiller; 06-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It very possible. Around 10 or so yrs a ago a collared wolf from WI was found dead on the border of IL and IN. So I would say its possible.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very likely. My particular area of Ohio was once so inhabited by wolves that the area was termed uninhabitable. When people read old history books about our early beginnings the references to the wild west was talking about Ohio.

One very interesting story about this area is about 2 men who came searching looking for a recluse that lived here, he was a legend in his day as a wolf hunter. They found him and wrote about him.

The last wolf killed in Ohio was around 1810 and goes something like a rider crossing an opening saw the wolf trailing him, doubled back, cornered the wolf and beat him to death against a tree.

They've been spotted round here lately. As for myself I will never pay to kill one and will wait till they do what they will do and I'm paid to clean up the mess foolish people who didn't respect their elders and reintroduced the killing machine again.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

They are not wolved game officers are ussually not the brightest when it comes to well just abt anything. Not saying impossible but highly unlikely
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Spike

Anything is possible. They found a dead collared cougar in Michigan from out west. I believe it was one of the Dakotas. If a cat can travel that far, who's to say a wolf couldn't travel to Indiana from Michigan or Minnesota.

Last edited by badlandsgunner; 06-14-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

bghunter777 thats kind of a broad statement to make about game wardens. Not the brightest really? Must have had a few run ins with them my guess. Quit on the contrary. Most have to be well educated to be hired as a warden. Hold a animal biology degree or along the same lines. I would say they could make quit an educated guess on species. So to say they as in "all" aren't bright is a stupid statement.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by deernutz
bghunter777 thats kind of a broad statement to make about game wardens. Not the brightest really? Must have had a few run ins with them my guess. Quit on the contrary. Most have to be well educated to be hired as a warden. Hold a animal biology degree or along the same lines. I would say they could make quit an educated guess on species. So to say they as in "all" aren't bright is a stupid statement.

***It's not the first ridiculous comment he's made regarding law enforcement of all kinds and what you mentioned as far as education is right on the button as far as what most Wardens possess before they can even compete for a job in most states! For anyone to make a comment like his falls right in line with the other comments he made on the deer contest thread that he was called out on.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***It's not the first ridiculous comment he's made regarding law enforcement of all kinds and what you mentioned as far as education is right on the button as far as what most Wardens possess before they can even compete for a job in most states! For anyone to make a comment like his falls right in line with the other comments he made on the deer contest thread that he was called out on.
And you need to keep sited in on the fact that the DNR is a wing of the government making anyone working under them government employees, an entity know for being highly inefficient and grossly abusive of power.

The individual is not who your dealing with, they are governed by many higher ups, levels of government all seeking first and foremost to remain in power doing whatever they must to do it. Case in point we wouldn't even be talking about wolves if it wasn't for those higher ups the warden is defending. How smart is that to reintroduce the wolf the warden is now defending?

People need to learn how to pick those they climb into bed with. If the powers that be want to kick you out from under the sheets, no amount of sticking up for a warden will help in fact he'll be the one kicking, it's his lively hood, can't blame him, but I don't have to remain ignorant of his affiliations, and keep an appropriate distance.

Since government is highly inefficient and grossly abusive of power they will not clean up the wolf mess they started and will pay to have it cleaned up once the people scream about it, that's after the wolf rips apart what they love first. I'm counting on that for my retirement income and I don't think I'll be disappointed, Canada is already paying $250 a head for their stupid actions.

Quick Reply: Uh oh.... Wolves in Indiana..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.