Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need an Official B&C or P&Y scorer to settle bet >

Need an Official B&C or P&Y scorer to settle bet

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need an Official B&C or P&Y scorer to settle bet

Old 02-24-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Need an Official B&C or P&Y scorer to settle bet

I need to get in touch with an official scorer to determine if a deer I killed this year was a typical, or a non-typical. I have heard alot of varying opinions from people I know, but, no one who I could definately trust as an expert opinion.

I tagged a buck this year that had 3 true antlers. The main frame is a base 8 point with a split eye gaurd on one side, and then there is a 3rd antler growing out of the center of its forehead, an 1" 1/2 long, just below the base of the main frame, to form a perfect 3 inch semetrical triangle between the three bases.

I need a reply from an official scorer only, please. I have looked on several web sites to try to find any informastion pertaining to this problem, but have come up short.

Thanxs!!!

Rich
Old 02-24-2003, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Need an Official B&C or P&Y scorer to settle bet

Could you post a picture of the buck? I' m not a scorer, but I' m going to have my deer from this year officially scored in the next week or so. If you post a pic I' ll take it over to the P and Y scorer and see what he has to say about it.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:39 PM

RICHIE3-check these out.
http://www.mosportsmen.com/deer/deermeasure.htm
http://www.boone-crockett.org/
http://www.pope-young.org/
Old 02-25-2003, 06:28 AM

No, I don' t have the equipment to post a photo. But, if you could imagine a mainframe 8 pointer, with a 1 1/2" spike coming straight out dead center of his forehead almost between the eyes, that is what it looks like. This is no record book buck, mid 130' s tops, but I just want to get what it would be (non-typ or typ) to settle a discusion. I have tried the P&Y and the B&C websites, and have found nothing, with no replies to e-mail. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Without a picture, it is hard to tell. But with what you describe, I would guess a typical and the unicorn point would be considered abnormal. So it would be a deduction. I am not a professional, but that is my opinion.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Il_Bow_Man, since the third antler is growing in the center of the forehead, which side would it be deducted from? I' d say this is a non-typical, but ya' ll are right, we need a pro to know for sure!
Old 02-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Is this your deer:

Old 02-25-2003, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

I' m not an official scorer, but the B/C and P/Y rules state that deer with more than two antlers are freaks of nature and therefore not eligable for entry. Same thing with cactus bucks. For all other purposes, I would think you could call it non typical.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go to www.boone-crocket.org Click Big Game Recors, then Click General Policies and scroll down to Three-Antlered Deer(click).

As Magis stated, a 3-antlered deer is unscoreable under either category and considered a " freak of nature" . It does sound from your description and the B&C description that in fact you have harvested a 3-antlered deer. I would call it a NON - Non Typical so rare not even B&C or P&Y scorer' s can do so. You have truly got yourself a trophy and one that many will never see. Now if the 3rd beams is come off either pedicel, it can be scored non-typical or typical with deduction.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the help!!! I don' t know how I missed that on the B&C site, but I did. Oh well, it looks like a push on the debate. The picture of Reylamb' s is blury on my computer, but just about the exact scenario, but with a more symetrical rack, but the same set-up of antlers. What blows my mind is to hear how many have not seen this before. We were duck hunting on the Missouri River earlier this year, and found the remains (hide & head) of a smaller buck with an even longer horn growing out of the center of his head that someone had discarded for the coyotes. One day, I hope to post a pic of it. Again, thanks for all of the help.

Rich

Quick Reply: Need an Official B&C or P&Y scorer to settle bet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.