Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 890 yard kill from a benchrest? >

890 yard kill from a benchrest?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

890 yard kill from a benchrest?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default 890 yard kill from a benchrest?

I think these guys must have crop damage permits. ( i hope!)

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1208137766/Ridiculous_Hunters_Take_Out_a_Deer_from_900_Yards_ Away
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 890 yard kill from a benchrest?

I don't like that at all. Those ranges are more suited to paper than deer.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

For me those ranges are for paper only and still only in my dreams. There are some people that shoot at 5-700 yards consistantly. If they can do it without maiming the animal consistantly, then ok. For the most of us, no way.

mello
Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's been posted here before... resulting in all kinds of finger pointing, name calling, accusations of ethics violations by members, etc., etc., etc...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 AM

Right or wrong that is insane how far away that is.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont agree with shooting them that far, just personal ethics though
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess that it all depends on the circumstances. The shot on that video is probably less of a risk thanlots ofoff hand shots at a fraction of that distance by people who are mediocre marksmen and are fighting a case of buck fever.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 AM

I wouldn't shoot that far but if its legal go ahead, but only if your an expert marksmen.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Watched a guy shoot an elk at about 900 yards last night on the Best of the West. These guys shoot better at that distance then most do at 200 yards. The explained their set ups and their ethics. I hope the same people that critcize these guys aren't taking off hand or shots at running deer etc. They set up their scopes according to the ballistics of their rifles.

This is the scope he's using.
Product Highlights

The Huskemaw Optics 5-20 Long Range Hunter is the most advanced Ballistic Compensating rifle scope available. It includes Gunwerks patent pending Rapid Field Ballistic Compensator and our simple yet powerful Hunt Smart reticle. We spared no expense creating an optical system that is beyond compare. The 30mm maintube, 50mm objective lens, and side focus parallax correction dial make the 5-20 LRH scope an outstanding choice for both varmint hunters and target shooters, but it includes special features for the big game hunter. Ballistic compensation and parallax adjustments are easily made without breaking shooting position, and the 50mm objective lens creates a brighter image for high magnification and low light use.
Our ballistic compensation technology is the first to accurately determine the drag model and ballistic coefficient (BC) for your bullet in your system. The 5-20 LRH is the first rifle scope built specifically to take advantage of a long range hunting situation, and the first and only scope with our patent pending windage compensation technology--anyone shooting at extended to long-range in hunting conditions without windage compensation is just guessing.

Price and Delivery

We have a new shipment of scopes available now. The latest shipment will be sold first come, first served with all orders receiving a certificate for the customized RFBC turret (a $150 value). All scopes are shipped with an instructional DVD and an access code for a web interface
user account. The introductory price for the 5-20 LRH is $975 plus $20 S/H and insurance.

[/align]
Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell me what make a person who only shoots a box of shells a year,taking a 200 yard shot at a running deer more ethical then a person with the equipment to shoot 900 yards and has practiced with hundreds of rounds and knows they can hit the deer. Long range shooting adds a new spin to hunting just as bow hunting.

Bow hunting adds a new thrill that requires a higher level of skill for the hunter. Many in experianced bow hunters have lost and maimed deer because they didn't have the skill to take the shot.

Long range shooting adds a new thrill and requires a higher level of skill for the hunter. And just as with bow hunting the shot should only be taken buy those who have a skill level to handed the circumstances.

Quick Reply: 890 yard kill from a benchrest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.