Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Help me make a succes for my Father. >

Help me make a succes for my Father.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me make a succes for my Father.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help me make a succes for my Father.

I have managed to acquire a lease for the 2008/2009 seasons down here in Florida. My father in law had to let his lease go up in south Georgia due to the fact that he has a degenerative nerve disease that is starting to really affect him. I am allowed to put up permanent stands and I would like to build him a blind that sits maybe 6 to 8 feet up and put maybe a ground blind on it or make it out of something for him to sit in. I have already placed a couple of feeders on the area that I have but I am willing to place more wherever it would be functional for my father in law. The thing to consider is a walk through the woods is going to be hard to almost impossible. He LIVES to hunt deer and I will do everything in my power to make sure he gets in at least one more season with his crossbow, muzzleloader, and gun. Bearing that in mind as a deer hunter I suck. I have no idea how to identify good “funnels” or trails or any of that stuff. I am a pig hunter and deer just are not my thing. The area that I have leased has deer galore. I see sometimes 20+ deer every single time I am there but I do not know how to ambush them. With hogs you just wait for the feeder to go off and put the pointy end of the arrow through its lungs but I seem to think deer are a bit harder than that. I have put this map up here and would greatly appreciate it if you would take the time to point out what areas you feel would be good spots for a stand. Please help me make this a successful year for my father in law.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help me make a succes for my Father.

Look for trails that intersect, or small opening that have trails in and out. Dont put your blind too close to the trails, deer will use the wind to scent you, so I would set up a couple stands for different wind directions. When you see deer out there, watch there habits, maybe spend a couple of evenings it the spots you pick and see if the deer are coming through that area.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 AM

Default RE: Help me make a succes for my Father.

johnnybravoo77 is right on the money. If you have time to get out and just enjoy the area for a little while, you'll learn more than anyone could tell you from looking at a map. Remember, you're not just looking for deer, you're looking for the right deer and with just a few days out in the area, you'll learn enough to get close. Look for the beaten down trails, what I've found is that quite a few deer use the same trails at different intervals, so if you have good beaten cross section of trails, setup nearby but not close. Also, multiple stands are a must to defeat the nose of the deer. You can use coverscent and soaps but if you sweat or move too much prior to getting in position, you're scent is going to bust you. Most areas have a common wind direction, or at least where I hunt, and 7 out of 10 times the wind will be the same. So learn the area and observe every deer that you see closely.