Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

corn or attractants

Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default corn or attractants

Last year i put out 50lbs of corn every other night.The deer were eating it good but were not super crazy about it and was wondering what else i could put out that they would go crazy for?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: corn or attractants

Molasses and generic salt blocks are economical. As are Whitetail Institute, Antler King, and other such products which make protein pellets and minerals.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got $4 corn here in Iowa, I can't afford to put out a bushel of corn every night, I mean it is hard enough to feed my livestock.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Deer can get sick by eating too much corn. Try mineral licks and such. Deer love carrots around here, but it gets pricey. Try not feeding them so much, or at least give them a variety of stuff to keep them healthy and to get some good antler growth.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

What mineral licks are good?trophy rock?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Spike

Something cheap and easy is molasses. I pour about three gallons over a stump. They love to lick it off and will eat the wood that the mollases has soaked into. You can take a bucket into a feed store and buy it for next to nothing.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

i heard a trick once... corn is only 14% protein, it is bad for the deer to be eating only corn, beans are i think in the 90% protein range. deer don't like the taste of beans that much but if you start out putting small amounts of it in the corn, and gradually increase to where they get used to the taste. you can make a mix of 60% beans and 40% corn, the deer will not only be eating very healthy, you will be buying cheeper grain, and the deer can be more dependent on swinging by the food spot in the winter as they can get an extra healthy dose of protein.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:14 PM

CORN AROUND HERE IS 7% PROTEIN, SWEET FEED FOR HORSES WORKS WELL AROUND HERE FOR DEER
Old 04-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I found this on a qdma forum:

Mineral Lick November 14th, 2001

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Printable version
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Hope to see you in the woods this weekend. horntagger

Helpful hints: One is best time to put it out is March/April and I put all 200 lbs in one hole. Also I like a water source to be within 100 yards.

If you put it out this time just put 100lbs won't do as much for them now. But will be a slight draw. Good Luck

Im sure there are others out there, a quick yahoo search brang up quite a few.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

I used corn for the first time last year and the deer loved it. It was mostly for attraction purposes, for nutrition I will be planting a food plot in a week or two. If the deer don't go crazy for the corn, try mixing some of that buck jam stuff in with it, or the cmere deer powder. I tried both and the deer went nuts. I've heard several ppl mention molasses, that would be cheaper and work just as well, if not better. you can also mix different suppliments in with the corn. I wouldnt feed every other night, try every other week. the deer would come in better if it wasnt always there for them.

Quick Reply: corn or attractants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.