Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer are enough

Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many deer are enough

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I have to scratch my balding head when I hear people claiming that it was common to see 100 deer a day in states like PA, NJ or NY. I would only have to assume that this was in some sort of suburban type area where there was very limited hunting and very few predators because in the more rural, wilderness areas there has NEVER been anywhere close to such numbers of deer in most places in the Northeast. The deer weren't there in such number be it 50, 30, or 20 years ago and there still isn't today. I could only suggest to these suburban hunters to go try to hunt in true wilderness areas like the Adirondacks or Maine and learn how to actually hunt deer and not just count them like sheep from a tree stand that is about 50 yards away from someones backyard swimming pool.
The area I hunt in NJ is very wilderness, matter of fact it is the only zone that doesn't allow hunters to take unlimited antlerless deer, the harvest allowed per hunter is this zone is very limited. There was many years I would see 30 or more deer per day. The start of the 2002 season that number dropped to 10 per day. You have to understand NJ's past history on deer harvest, to understand why the huge number of deer, also take into account how small this state is in realtion to the human population. Hell, look at our black bear population we have more bears per square mile then most areas.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

yes pa deer herd is thin compared to what it used to be im only 22 but thats what ive heard. ive been hunting ten years and i am seeing less deer then when i first started been hunting a farm for six years and used to see 30 opening day and and now its more like 9-12. IMO the herd around here is slim to enough. the difference is i will give the game commission props on their buck program i have seen more bucks and nicer bucks then when i started. i have nothing more then a 5 point to show for ittho it was my first buck kill. i live in franklin county close to the maryland line. i also hunt in mckean county close to the new york line and the deer numbers ive seen havent changed to much up there if anything there is a little less BUT for the amount of ppl who live up there it had to help the deer to vehicle problem i would think. so i must commend them they did an ok job but now they need to bring back the 3 day program or saturday program. because pa has ALOT of hunters to many really and it creats ALOT of revenue so i bet they dont want to lose that.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

you poor ppl being aloud to kill 30-40 deer they are either trying to kill the sport or you really must have WAYYYY to many deer.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 PM

in southwest ga, you have a smaller amount of deer as the season goes on but you can have the monsters for hereif you spend a year or two on it in a rural area. where i hunt in southeast ga, deer are everywhere at first but they are so small... your more likely to shoot a button that you mistake for a doe even with binocs than you would a mature doe
Old 04-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: forddeerslayer

you poor ppl being aloud to kill 30-40 deer they are either trying to kill the sport or you really must have WAYYYY to many deer.
I agree, the states are trying kill off the herd, and the hunters think they are doing the right thing....It boils down to a joke, a shameful joke
Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

ORIGINAL: MikeVT

If you consider yourself a good hunter, c'mom up to northern New England where the deer population can be less than 10 deer per square mile.

If you can consistently drag out your buck, I tip my hat to ya!
Just what I was going to say. Spend all day still hunting the big timber and hope to see a deer. If you can see 2-3 a day, it was a good day.
Yep, you said it Mike.
That's what separates the men from the boys...
Anybody can shoot a deer when you see 30-40 every day.

So your saying that if you knew where the best opportunity was to take a nice buck or multiple deer you wouldn't take it, you'd go to the most remote area you possibly could with 2-3 deer per Sq. mile because it'd be to easy? I'm kinda confused.
That's not what I'm saying. I hunt northern Maine and northern NH where the deer population is low as compared to other parts of New England and other parts of the country. I never said I would rather hunt deer with numbers 2-3 per sq. mile.

The winter up here can be brutal and really take a toll on the deer. They are also some of the biggest bucks in the country. It is not uncommon to shoot a big buck that dresses at 220 pounds plus. They have to be big and strong just to survive the winters.

I have hunted with friends and relatives who consider themselves good hunter and they are, no doubt.They come from Georgia and Wisconsin where they are very successful but these guys will admit they can go days hunting up here without seeing a deer. One buddy has been hunting in Wisc, his home, for 30+ years and he said he has never hunted a full day without seeing at least one deer. The deer population there is almost 60 deer per square mile. To me, that's amazing.

And I never said anything about it being too easy. Hunting where you see less deer is simply more difficult.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

ORIGINAL: MikeVT

If you consider yourself a good hunter, c'mom up to northern New England where the deer population can be less than 10 deer per square mile.

If you can consistently drag out your buck, I tip my hat to ya!
Just what I was going to say. Spend all day still hunting the big timber and hope to see a deer. If you can see 2-3 a day, it was a good day.
Yep, you said it Mike.
That's what separates the men from the boys...
Anybody can shoot a deer when you see 30-40 every day.

So your saying that if you knew where the best opportunity was to take a nice buck or multiple deer you wouldn't take it, you'd go to the most remote area you possibly could with 2-3 deer per Sq. mile because it'd be to easy? I'm kinda confused.
That's not what I'm saying. I hunt northern Maine and northern NH where the deer population is low as compared to other parts of New England and other parts of the country. I never said I would rather hunt deer with numbers 2-3 per sq. mile.

The winter up here can be brutal and really take a toll on the deer. They are also some of the biggest bucks in the country. It is not uncommon to shoot a big buck that dresses at 220 pounds plus. They have to be big and strong just to survive the winters.

I have hunted with friends and relatives who consider themselves good hunter and they are, no doubt.They come from Georgia and Wisconsin where they are very successful but these guys will admit they can go days hunting up here without seeing a deer. One buddy has been hunting in Wisc, his home, for 30+ years and he said he has never hunted a full day without seeing at least one deer. The deer population there is almost 60 deer per square mile. To me, that's amazing.

And I never said anything about it being too easy. Hunting where you see less deer is simply more difficult.

Alright i understand now I just don't think it's right for some, not saying you, to say that they are a real hunter or better hunter because they hunt where there aren't many deer as opposed to say me living in ohio and seeing a fair amount of them. We both have practiced and sighted in our firearms, both invested the time to track and scout as well as make sure the deer can't see and or smell us. JMO though
Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

A pop of 30 deer per/square mile is probably a perfect
amount where I live and hunt..This would still allow for a healthy and stablepop for future years, even if you figure in annual mortalities from, successful harvests from hunting,winter kills ,predator kill, and urbanization..
Whats just as important (I fell its even more so)is a high buck to doe ratio, at least one third of the deer pop in any square milethat holds deer,has tobe bucks..And if it isn't than something has to be done thats imparitive for a healthy deer pop..

Old 04-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted close to where Bowhuntercop hunts and years ago(I'm a little older) there was no problem seeing herds of deer 15-25 going by, Then they implemented the shooting of does.Now it's more like 2-3 here and there. [&o]