Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 PM
AmateurHunter44857

Default RE: How many deer are enough

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

ORIGINAL: MikeVT

If you consider yourself a good hunter, c'mom up to northern New England where the deer population can be less than 10 deer per square mile.

If you can consistently drag out your buck, I tip my hat to ya!
Just what I was going to say. Spend all day still hunting the big timber and hope to see a deer. If you can see 2-3 a day, it was a good day.
Yep, you said it Mike.
That's what separates the men from the boys...
Anybody can shoot a deer when you see 30-40 every day.

So your saying that if you knew where the best opportunity was to take a nice buck or multiple deer you wouldn't take it, you'd go to the most remote area you possibly could with 2-3 deer per Sq. mile because it'd be to easy? I'm kinda confused.
That's not what I'm saying. I hunt northern Maine and northern NH where the deer population is low as compared to other parts of New England and other parts of the country. I never said I would rather hunt deer with numbers 2-3 per sq. mile.

The winter up here can be brutal and really take a toll on the deer. They are also some of the biggest bucks in the country. It is not uncommon to shoot a big buck that dresses at 220 pounds plus. They have to be big and strong just to survive the winters.

I have hunted with friends and relatives who consider themselves good hunter and they are, no doubt.They come from Georgia and Wisconsin where they are very successful but these guys will admit they can go days hunting up here without seeing a deer. One buddy has been hunting in Wisc, his home, for 30+ years and he said he has never hunted a full day without seeing at least one deer. The deer population there is almost 60 deer per square mile. To me, that's amazing.

And I never said anything about it being too easy. Hunting where you see less deer is simply more difficult.

Alright i understand now I just don't think it's right for some, not saying you, to say that they are a real hunter or better hunter because they hunt where there aren't many deer as opposed to say me living in ohio and seeing a fair amount of them. We both have practiced and sighted in our firearms, both invested the time to track and scout as well as make sure the deer can't see and or smell us. JMO though